UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 9th Nov 2012, 5:47 pm   #41
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: R1155 receiver

Having been off line for some time I've just caught up with your comment Herald. You are puzzled because I managed to use the wrong word in my "variants" post of 28th September. I actually meant the "lower" end, not higher than the 18.5 Megs for which there are definetely no different RX versions so sorry for the mistake.

I think I had been so intrigued by finding out that some 1155's actually covered "Top" band within a .5-3 Megs range that I confused myself about which end of the coverage that nardil666 was referring to.

As an aside, I presume the "Top" name dates from the early Medium Wave Amateur Band classification although, thinking about it, 160 metres is a "low" number in either metres or megs?

Dave W
Old 9th Nov 2012, 11:54 pm   #42
Herald1360
Dekatron

Thanks for reply, Dave. I thought maybe you knew something interesting from your experience with these receivers. I coveted the "N" version in the '60s when I had a standard (well butchered though) early one with the concentric tuning knobs. I couldn't afford one at the time and by the time I could I wasn't interested as it was a poor relation to AR88s and B40s back then.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 11th Nov 2012, 10:56 am   #43
jim_jobe
Heptode

I think the Top-Band R1155s were the ones used on board Air-Sea Rescue Launches?
Jim
Old 11th Nov 2012, 11:56 am   #44
Herald1360
Dekatron

Yes. I thought the -N suffix stood for Naval but that may just be coincidence.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 11th Nov 2012, 3:05 pm   #45
dave walsh
Dekatron

It doesn't seem that you've read the thread link chaps to all the info that Graham, Michael R and others very helpfully provided when I asked the original question. There did seem to be a firm notion that these went into sea rescue operation either on the water or in the air.

I was hoping to get more comment on the key question. I remembered that there was always a reference to the lack of Top Band in PW etc and add-on convertor circuits. The sets with the extra range were apparently available but I have never seen any adverts or Any mention of them at all in the amateur radio press. Even if it was just a small number, re-cycled for the Navy, it seemed odd. Judging by the response to my query. there seems to be more about now than then but apart from the one on the auction site and I'd not seen any!
Dave
Old 12th Nov 2012, 5:20 pm   #46
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Dave,

This link shows the "Top Band" variant installation drawings for marine Craft for the R1155.

http://www.vq5x79.f2s.com/greenradio/Wireless20c.html#a

I think as has been said , "Top Band" is the name for the first ( and longest wavelength ) Amateur band allocated in the days when most radio band allocations were in wavelength (metres) not frequency (Mhz). (Considering the time period it begs the question why we were metric ? )

I have seen reference by the way of the T1154 and R1155 being used on trawlers after the war.

Mike
Old 12th Nov 2012, 6:16 pm   #47
dave walsh
Dekatron

Thanks Mike that's really interesting. I find digging out relatively obscure info like this quite fascinating and it's amazing what comes out at times from people like yourself. Better than "Time Team" where one bit of pottery can sometimes look much like another.
Dave
Old 12th Nov 2012, 9:32 pm   #48
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Yes Mike, I remember listening to hams in the 60s calling " Cq 160 metre phone".
Old 19th Jan 2013, 7:01 pm   #49
marlowradio
Triode

Hi David,
I recently purchased a R1155 and have had the same problem with the labels.
How did you make up yours as they are excellent, when you say you printed them on transparent film I am confused to how the the aluminium tape showed up the text?

Many Thanks
Steve

Last edited by marlowradio; 19th Jan 2013 at 7:12 pm.
Old 19th Jan 2013, 8:59 pm   #50
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Hi Steve

I printed an inverse image onto inkjet transparent film and then stuck aluminium tape over the print. When the label is turned over you see through the film first, then print and the foil is on the back... Hope that makes sense.

David
Old 19th Jan 2013, 9:28 pm   #51
Variometer
Retired Dormant Member

This is how I do it. I make the writing on the computer with Word Processing. Print it onto clear self-adhesive film. Stick the self adhesive film with the writing on it onto a card and cut it out. (I put it in a text box). In this case, it is gold, but it would work just as well stuck on aluminium or silver card, or even aluminium sheet. It does look pretty good and in this example, it is always mistaken for an engraved brass plate, although it does not sparkle much in the image, but it looks great in real life. I know my example is nothing to do with radio, but it is just to show you the result!
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nameplate.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	75173  
Old 20th Jan 2013, 11:39 pm   #52
marlowradio
Triode

Hi David,

That indeed makes sense and will give it a try tomorrow, would you have a copy of the artwork available as some of the plates are missing off my one?

Many Thanks,
Steve
Old 21st Jan 2013, 11:44 pm   #53
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Hi Steve,

Sorry for the late reply. I'll have a look for the images tomorrow.

Regards
David
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 6:20 pm   #54
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Hi Steve,

I've found what you need. Please PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

David
Old 25th Mar 2015, 5:56 pm   #55
voltair
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Dave
It’s powered and amplified from the homebrew contraption that it’s sitting on. I had a bit of fun making it and I made up some R1155 style labels, for the sake of continuity.
Outstanding job!!! Well done have you got the circuit diagram and components list for the homebrew? I think I will start with that first before I start on my R1155.

Last edited by Station X; 26th Mar 2015 at 1:46 pm. Reason: Quote fixed.
Closed Thread