UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Apr 2018, 3:12 pm   #1
short wave
Pentode

Default Couplates

Couplates, do you know what they are? (I didn`t despite having an interest in radios for 35 years +). While watching a video (link below) I was forced to “Google” it (other search engines are available!). Had you heard of them ? Or as the YouTube creator is American is it just an American term/word usage?
Link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOywIR3Vafg (9-06 and 10-50)
Old 26th Apr 2018, 3:23 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Couplates

So why did I write this? The idea was born out of the observed lack of PEC device information available, and my fear that less information may be available in the future. I want to evolve this page in an attempt to gather and publish information on these devices that it might help vintage equipment restoration and repair enthusiasts.

Manufacturers' nomenclature:

Centralab - Couplate
Sprague - Bulplate
Aerovox - PEC (Printed or Packaged Electronic Circuit)

Found this if it helps.
Old 26th Apr 2018, 3:25 pm   #3
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

PS I love "the toob in the tooner" bit!
Old 26th Apr 2018, 4:24 pm   #4
Paul_RK
Dekatron

A new term to me, though I've known the phenomenon for at least 45 years after an early encounter with an Ever Ready Sky Queen II. There's nothing in the printed OED between "coupla" (slang for "couple of") and "couple" itself, so perhaps the word hasn't had much currency on this side of the broad Atlantic.

Paul
Old 27th Apr 2018, 11:20 am   #5
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

I recall an ad, possibly by RCA in an American publication (could have been a late 30s early 40s ARRL handbook) for "Couplates". The selling features were to simplify wiring of the receiver or amp., and to enable a more compact assembly to be achieved.
The one featured had the components for an R-C coupled amplifying stage viz: anode load resistor, coupling capacitor, next stage grid leak. I think what would be referred to today as thick film technology.
"Couplate" may be a registered trade mark, maybe more could be found searching from that angle.
Quite a lot of early electronic organs used a similar technology for the numeous frequency dividers used in them each of which was an identical (usually a two-transistor bistable) circuit. Tony

Last edited by boxdoctor; 27th Apr 2018 at 11:25 am.
Old 28th Apr 2018, 9:19 am   #6
Scottart
Pentode

I've quite a few US 'tube' / valve battery radios from the 1950's with couplets incorporated into the AF R-C amplifying circuits - certainly makes the wiring simpler
Stephen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Couplate.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	161924  
Old 28th Apr 2018, 6:31 pm   #7
m0cemdave
Octode

They are used in Heathkit Monitor Scopes, where the circuit diagram describes them as PEC phase shift networks.
Old 28th Apr 2018, 6:35 pm   #8
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I guess they could be seen as an evolutionary 'half-way stage' reducing assembly-costs for those manufacturers who didn't want to fully commit to PCBs and automated component-insertion.
Closed Thread