UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Apr 2017, 3:27 pm   #1
g0hze snowy
Hexode

Default Kenwood TS450s

Hi All, some advice please, I have recently purchased a Kenwood TS450s that has no RF out and the ALC appears to be non functional, I cant make out if the ALC is working flat out or not at all, the lower bar-graph is full over, is that pertinent?.
So far I have replace C104 ( Audio cap) and remade several blackened plated thru' holes.
Uses some small amount of additional current when TX button pressed, the fans drawing that little extra current I suspect.
The auto tuner motors don't move when the button pressed
I have replaced the memory battery as it looked as if it had leaked, no apparent damage to the control board.
thanks
Snowy
Old 3rd Apr 2017, 3:44 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Kenwood TS450s

I have downloaded the service/operating and mods manual if any good to you? Back on pc shortly.
Old 3rd Apr 2017, 4:48 pm   #3
g0hze snowy
Hexode

Thanks for the offer, I have done the same, going to attempt to print them later,Snowy
Old 3rd Apr 2017, 6:22 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

That family have a bit of a reputation for soldering going bad around the PA transistors.

But as you've just bought it, you don't know what anyone's done with it. So the first step is to look for RF drive and DC power going to the PA board.

David
Old 3rd Apr 2017, 8:50 pm   #5
g0hze snowy
Hexode

Thanks for the advice R/W, will look for that tomorrow AFTER I clean my trike as the chap coming to see it Wednesday.Snowy
Old 4th Apr 2017, 4:08 pm   #6
g0hze snowy
Hexode

Hi, Update: Have put my meter across the PA and driver trannies, all seems well with those so I checked the drive, it seems that I don't have any drive to the PA board, this is perhaps why the auto atu doesn't fire up, if there is nothing coming out then it can't match it.
so probable fault on the IF board, more delving required.Snowy
Old 4th Apr 2017, 5:25 pm   #7
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Is the fault still present if you operate in CW mode?
Old 4th Apr 2017, 7:18 pm   #8
g0hze snowy
Hexode

Hi, thanks for your response, the fault is apparent in all modes I'm afraid.
If you are familiar with this radio then can you tell me if the alc indicator is in the form of a bar graph on the lowest point on the display, this radio is new to me so I am not sure on the indicators at the moment.
If, and when I fix it then I will be looking for a 250hz cw filter for it.
cheers
snowy
Closed Thread