UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Apr 2017, 9:11 am   #21
majoconz
Heptode

Default Re: Side tone ...when did it start for cw?

What G3VKM said...
Quote:
When I went to marine radio school in the mid-60s sidetone was frowned-on and we were made to use key-clicks to read our sending, easy enough with the clunky Marconi 365 keys.
..+1. No sidetone when I did my MRO course to in the early 60's, same Marconi keys. We received a quite a long text or 5 letter groups from a Creed perforator, then it was sent again and we had to send along with the audio, one ear on the headphone and the other ear on the key sound - our instructor could listen to our sending on his switch panel.
My favourite key is a refurbished Amplidan which I bought at a fair for NZ$10. I also bought a Marconi Type "D" on an auction site for NZ$40 but after strip/clean/rebuild I don't really like the "click/thud" sound, it's improved with a large washer under the contact but I'm still not happy. A Don5 is a nice little key, I put it with my Type "A" mk 3 spy set - not the authentic key but it looks the part!
Old 9th Apr 2017, 9:03 pm   #22
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Side tone ...when did it start for cw?

On our journey back from the Blackpool radio rally today, we made a diversion up through the Lake District and ended up at Wray Castle (NT) which is on the western shore of Windermere and has only recently been opened up to the public despite having been in the ownership of the National Trust since the 1920s.

The building has had various uses but most interestingly a spell as a Merchant Navy (technical?) training college from the 1960s to the 1990s. The doors to the various main rooms still have brass plaques from that time bearing names like 'Volta', 'Rutherford', 'Rayleigh' and 'Morse'. It made me wonder if any of you gentlemen had ever passed through its doors?
Closed Thread