UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 29th Aug 2011, 10:57 pm   #1
RetroDan16
Retired Dormant Member

Default GPO 746 Dial Return Spring

Hello all,

I've only started collecting GPO telephones for a month or so and in that time I've been lucky enough to find two nice examples which I have successfully converted without too much headache (and plenty of research!)

This week, I found my third colour for my collection, a two tone grey from 1971.
It's in a bit of a sorry state, so I probably won't be converting this one, but I'd like to clean it up and get it looking nice next to my ivory and green phones.

Upon taking it apart to have a look at, the dial return spring inside the mechanism pinged out and I was wondering if there was any way to get it back in just so the dial turns again; it doesn't have to be exactly right as this'll just be a display piece, and so I'd like to try and do it myself rather than buying a new dial unit.

Is this possible or should I just give up on the dialler working properly for this one?

Thanks!
Old 30th Aug 2011, 9:38 am   #2
AndiiT
Octode

Default Re: GPO 746 Dial Return Spring

Hi and welcome to the forum, this link may be of help.

Andrew
Old 30th Aug 2011, 2:29 pm   #3
RetroDan16
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: GPO 746 Dial Return Spring

Thank you, that's a great help! I've managed to reseat the spring and while the tension may not be entirely correct, the dial does work and stop in the right place which is as much as I hoped for!

I'm fast learning that not only are these phones are design classic but they're hugely interesting on an engineering level too!
Closed Thread