UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 31st Oct 2009, 12:03 pm   #1
retrotelecom
Retired Dormant Member

Default Portable Exchange Line Simulator Ztl 100

Hi folks. Can anyone throw any light on the why's and wherefore's of this? I'm finding it almost entirely 'unGoogleable'. It's described simply as a PORTABLE EXCHANGE LINE SIMULATOR ZTL 100, but as I say, I can't find out what it does.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	29769  
Old 31st Oct 2009, 9:55 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Portable Exchange Line Simulator Ztl 100

It's exactly what it's name suggests ie it simulates an exchange. In other words it's used to test two telephone lines without the need to actually connect the lines to an exchange.

As far as I know these gadgets were/are used by the military but I'm not sure if ZTL100 was a military or manufacturers code.
Old 31st Oct 2009, 10:06 pm   #3
retrotelecom
Retired Dormant Member

I suppose the name does give a clue! I have my eye on it for the purpose of meddling with old phones when I'm alone in my lonely digs with no landline. I wasn't sure if it would be good for that. I've now bought an old tele704b, which I am assured will do the trick, but if this wizzy looking one would be a snitch and may even do a better job - I'd be tempted to buy it.

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 31st Oct 2009 at 10:28 pm. Reason: FRC
Old 31st Oct 2009, 10:13 pm   #4
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

This U.S. site gives some general information on Telephone line simulators which may be helpful:-

http://www.telephonetribute.com/telc...imulators.html

Regards, Mick.
Old 1st Nov 2009, 2:27 am   #5
retrotelecom
Retired Dormant Member

Can I ask you guys that know. Is is a better device for my purposes than the 704b?
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 3:06 pm   #6
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrotelecom View Post
Can I ask you guys that know. Is is a better device for my purposes than the 704b?
Not really, but it may do the job, albeit somewhat OTT! It may need programmed as well. I've just dug out my blurb for a 'Euro-Sim' telephone simulator, the salient points of which are as follows:
  • Design of auto-answer systems, modems, auto-diallers, etc...
  • Demonstrations and testing.
  • Quality control.
  • Service Centre use.

Such a device (the Euro-Sim, that is; don't know about the ZTL100) can be set to offer on/off cadences, exchange tones, ringing frequencies, variablr pulse-dialling ratios for all European telephone networks.

Could be worth getting hold of if the price is right, though!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 4th Nov 2009, 5:49 pm   #7
retrotelecom
Retired Dormant Member

Only just seen your post. Thanks for the info. I've gotten hold of a Linesman's 704B, which obviously will do what I need, so I'm not sure whether to bother with the ZTL.

Last edited by Station X; 4th Nov 2009 at 7:00 pm. Reason: To comply with forum rules.
Closed Thread