UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Dec 2010, 11:15 am   #41
G8VAT Wolfman
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Freeview DXing

Your video sort of answers one of the points I spotted above, surely a digital receiver will work better at weaker signal strengths, its' the quality that counts..

..Until it reaches the point where the quality plummets, known technically (I believe) as the 'Digital Cliff' so you have all or nothing.

But in the UK I don't see the point in receiving out of area transmissions since 90% are the same programming and without the intellect of Einstein you won't know it is a bonus channel anyway.

However... I did find the foreign DX interesting and might find meself having a play sometime, better than analogue.. if you can receive it, it's gonna be good quality.
And I have a spare digital AE (it said so on the box).

Our previous domestic TV a De Graaf, would also tune from around 40MHz, and could receive UHF Amateur TV from the local guys around Wakefield/Barnsley when connected to my ATV AE, now sadly gone in favour of Digital.

Last edited by G8VAT Wolfman; 29th Dec 2010 at 11:25 am.
Old 29th Dec 2010, 3:31 pm   #42
radioredcat
Hexode

I used to receive many amateur tv operators from manchesterliverpool/north wales/stoke and a few french ones see the videos below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9SJ4dM4VVM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQZDXVk8L94

The F1EDM amateur from le havre i received a lot of times and he commented to my video he was using 100w into a 21 element antenna and the distance was 295 miles.
I have a quite a few more videos of local amateurs so i might put them up on my channel.

Andy
Old 29th Dec 2010, 10:24 pm   #43
G8VAT Wolfman
Retired Dormant Member

There were quite a few TV Hams around the Lancs coastline and North Wales which gave rise to some ATV Repeaters, one on Anglesey and one near Criccieth, I did the programing for the I2c logic for them both... are they still active?

Probably PC based these days.
Old 29th Dec 2010, 10:43 pm   #44
radioredcat
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithsTV View Post
Although I'm line of sight to Emley Moor I can receive the Winter Hill digital signals but not all of the multiplexes. Emley Moor is 12 miles away and Winter Hill is 28 miles away on the other side of the Pennines.

When I lived in Beaumaris on Anglesey we got our (analogue) TV signals from Winter Hill 80 miles away. It was literally line of sight with mostly a sea path. I wonder if digital reception of Winter Hill is possible in that area?

Keith
I would say yes to your question because a lot of people on the north wales coast use winter hill and it has been received in the IOM as well as ireland.

Winter hill is 100kw and Llandonna is 20KW and i can receive 100% at distance of 60 miles and winter hill is 11 miles from my location.

I use a log 40 10ft off the ground at the east side of the house for reception from the wrekin otherwise Llandonna interferes with mux c/d uhf ch's 53/57.

After winter hill dso my perfect analogue from the wrekin is marred because of digital from storeton 560W 17 miles away,So it just shows how a little digital signal can wreck an analogue signal dispite the building being in the way.

Andy
Old 29th Dec 2010, 11:04 pm   #45
radioredcat
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8VAT Wolfman View Post
There were quite a few TV Hams around the Lancs coastline and North Wales which gave rise to some ATV Repeaters, one on Anglesey and one near Criccieth, I did the programing for the I2c logic for them both... are they still active?

Probably PC based these days.
Iv'e not seen any activity for years so i don't know.

Andy
Old 29th Dec 2010, 11:05 pm   #46
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

All this does sound a bit encouraging. I do have a spare Humax f2 fox t reconditioned box lying around. I might be pushing this into service soon after hearing everyone elses experiances.
Old 18th Jan 2011, 1:04 am   #47
crusher19860138
Hexode

I have some great memories of analogue dxing in the 1980's,watching the news at 5.45 on itv,suddenly lines would appear on the picture,tuning away from ch43,brought in a strong colour signal with the same news on ch42,i left it on,and when the news finished,instead of the Central ident for Central news,i got the fleur-de-lys ident of TVS and then Coast to Coast,Hannington used to romp into the West Midlands easily during high pressure weather.
Closed Thread