UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 4th May 2010, 12:34 pm   #1
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default power connections for GPO loudspeaking telephone

Just a quick question this time:

The LST4 series of GPO loudspeaking telephones requires an external 50V DC power supply. Whereas I assume that this is connected to the additional two wires (orange and black) in the line cord, can someone please confirm which way round it needs to go (and indeed whether this assumption is correct). Although intuitively black says negative, leaving orange as positive, I wouldn't wish to risk blowing the circuitry by getting it wrong - nor do I fancy another session of circuit tracing just to work it out.
Old 4th May 2010, 2:40 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: power connections for GPO loudspeaking telephone

Having now opened up my telephone power supply unit and being rather surprised to find that it doesn't have a 50V tapping, I would like to add a supplementary question: the options being 10V, 20V, 40V, 70V - would 40V be adequate?

Afterthought: having noticed that it is currently set to give 30V between the 10V and 40V outputs, presumably the solution to the above problem is to connect between 20V and 70V to give 50V.

Last edited by Dave Moll; 4th May 2010 at 2:49 pm. Reason: noticed alternative solution
Old 4th May 2010, 3:52 pm   #3
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
40 Volts should be adequate to power the telephone, but connecting between the 20 and 70 volt tappings would have most likely been done "back in the day", as it were.

Looking at the diagram shown Here it appears that Blue is the Negative connection and Orange the Positive one which fits in with standard wiring practice of the time (i.e. Blue - Battery, Orange - "Earth") the Black lead being a spare.

Regards
Andrew
Old 4th May 2010, 5:59 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Spot on! Thank you for that - and for pointing me to the right place on the samhallas web site for the N diagrams.

I have now tried it and it works!

edit: as the problem is solved, I'll close the thread.