UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 17th Apr 2010, 1:35 pm   #1
richwk1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Split 746 case Repair Tips.

Can i just say a big thank you to everyone for there useful comments and advice in the past, it is much appreciated. Now to my question:

I have had many split 706 and 746 cases and have never really found a satisfactory was of repairing them.

I would be interested in everybody's tips and how they have repaired them in the past, as far as type of glue and procedure and if any ex GPO engineers have any tips or tricks i would be grateful for any help or advice.

I have used super glue with limited success ( plastic tends to go white ) bostik type glue tends to leave to much build up. I have even melted the split from behind to stabilize with a old solering iron and filled the split from the front with either colored wax or melted old 700 series parts of the same color ( bit of a bodge but not to bad results)

Thanks guys Rich
Old 17th Apr 2010, 2:54 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Split 746 case Repair Tips !!!

Solvent cement, liquid, will do it but let it run into the crack from inside the case, don't apply from outside. Once applied, leave the case somewhere ventilated and where it won't get touched or moved for several hours. Don't try to push the crack together once applied either, or a horrid sticky mess of melted plastic will ooze out.

That's fine if the crack is hairline though. If it's opened out then close it up using a couple of tiny drops of Superglue, then use the Solvent cement.
Old 17th Apr 2010, 3:09 pm   #3
Millay_2010
Hexode

Solvent cement, is that the stuff that i used fduring my childhood to put model planes together?
Old 17th Apr 2010, 3:53 pm   #4
richwk1
Retired Dormant Member

Darren would it be possible to use solvent weld for water pvcu water pipes.
( just asking as i already have some of this)

Rich
Old 17th Apr 2010, 4:15 pm   #5
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

This is the stuff I use (scroll page to see a picture of the bottle), it's liquid whereas that used for model aircraft kits was/is a 'squeeze from the tube' glue.

It's intended primarily for Polystyrene but yes, it will work on uPVC although to be honest I wouldn't trust it with water pipes under mains pressure.

Whatever you use it on, it's a lot slower curing than publicity material may suggest. That's why I said above about leaving the 700 case a good few hours.
Old 17th Apr 2010, 4:42 pm   #6
richwk1
Retired Dormant Member

Sorry Darren i will rephrase my question correctly, i have a tube of pipe joining cement left over from a plumbing job i did. would that work on a 700 case.
It will join upvc and abs water pipes so i assume as it holds under mains water pressure it would be strong enough to join a split in my phone case.

Rich
Old 17th Apr 2010, 4:46 pm   #7
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Ah sorry, misread #4. Yes it will work on 700 cases, which I think are ABS anyway.
Old 18th Apr 2010, 12:02 am   #8
richwk1
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Darren , i will try some pipe weld on an old case i have with a split and see how it goes. I will post later with progress report.

Rich
Old 18th Apr 2010, 1:37 am   #9
mickash
Hexode

At work we used to have a big bottle of some kind of solvent that we used to repair damaged plastic. It was very useful for repairing cracked VCR fronts, damaged TV control flaps etc.
To add extra strength it was possible to melt a piece of plastic to the inside of a crack to brace it..
The best way to apply it was to dip the end of a switch cleaner extension pipe into the solvent which would then creep into the pipe by capillary action. The end of the pipe was than applied to the closed crack allowing the solvent to empty out of the pipe and then seep into the crack. Care had to be taken not to allow too much solvent into the crack.
I can't remember what this solvent was called, di or tri someting. It would have been ideal for repairing cracked phones. It might have been similar to pipe welding solvent. I'd love to get hold of some more.

Michael.
Old 18th Apr 2010, 9:35 am   #10
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickash View Post
I can't remember what this solvent was called, di or tri someting.
trichloroethylene?

We once used a degreasing solvent that would instantly start dissolving certain types of thermosetting plastic. It made a good 'unofficial' adhesive!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 18th Apr 2010, 12:22 pm   #11
richwk1
Retired Dormant Member

I remember when i was young my next door neighbor had cans of trichloroethylene and we used it for cleaning motorbike parts and car parts.
I f i remember correctly he got it from his work (he painted the bridges and gantries across the motorways)
As i remember it was a great degreaser but as far as plastic melting properties i can't say. I know we all got a bit woozy on the fumes.
I have tried my pipe weld and it seems to do the trick although care is needed this stuff marks if you get it on the front of the case.
I have placed a piece of masking tape over the split and applied the weld from the back. Will leave a few hours before messing with the case.
Rich
Closed Thread