UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Dec 2011, 10:26 pm   #1
Uptown1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Windsor 45B works, except with Grid cap?

Hello to all, Once again I am looking for help with this tester.
Thanks to the members here I was able to sort out the issues previously and have been enjoying using this tester.
I have a problem that popped up recently when trying to test tubes that require a grid cap, as there is no reading on the meter. I opened the unit up and confirmed all wires are connected and tested the tube in question on another tester and confirmed it was good. Meter does nothing when testing this tube but performs fine on other tubes without a cap.
If anyone who is familiar with these testers would care to offer a suggestion or opinion as to where I should begin I would be grateful!
Thank you,
Mauro
Old 1st Dec 2011, 10:44 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Windsor 45B works, except with Grid cap?

If the tester works with valves with the grid connected to a pin, then the testing part of the 45B is obviously working correctly. Therefore the fault can only be in the top cap lead (check its continuity) or in the wiring from the socket it plugs into to the grid test circuit.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 2nd Dec 2011, 9:04 pm   #3
Uptown1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Windsor 45B works, except with Grid cap?

Graham,
Thanks for the reply and you are correct! the problem was with the lead connection.
I downloded the valve socket layout from another thread on this forum and found that the "replacement" pin jacks were labeled incorrectly.
I feel a little foolish as I was connecting to ground.
On the other hand, I'm happy to say that my tester is working as it should.
I enjoy using this tester as it is very different than my Hickok or B&K.
Thanks for the help,
Mauro
Closed Thread