UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 14th Apr 2010, 8:56 am   #1
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Ericsson N1010 Pyramid: Variations?

I am currently doing up an unknown 'pyramid' telephone (non-GPO, internal bell PAX instrument), and have learned from Bob's telephone pages that the case is identical to an Ericsson N1010, with the bottom edges cut away to let the ringing out.

The innards are quite different to those described on the N1010 page, however, looking a wee bit like those of a GECophone, but not identical. Frustratingly, the circuit diagram, which is straightforward enough and includes an RF supression capaciotor across the carbon mic, has no reference on it to any particular manufacturer, nor have the components, which all look like those in any contemporary instrument. The handset isn't original, and is very tatty, held together with yellowing Sellotape. It's an ex-GPO 164 handset that has been grafted on. I shall be replacing it.

The 'stag's antler's' were all distorted and blistered, either with chemicals or heat, and I shall be replacing them as well. The dial is an extremely well-made No:10 with slipping cam, and the chromework is excellent. I have no reason to believe that any other parts of the telephone have been changed apart from the handset.

I would guess, from the PVC wiring, that it was made in the 1950s.

Has anyone come across anything similar? Were the innards of the N1010 made differently in later years? Or is it a 'parts bin' telephone, made for a purpose? If so, by whom? I was given it years ago by the proprietor of a skip company, who 'rescued' it.

All info gratefully received!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inside_unknown_pyramid.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	34482   Click image for larger version

Name:	unknown_pyramid_cct_diag.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	34483  

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.

Last edited by russell_w_b; 14th Apr 2010 at 9:09 am. Reason: Tortology.
Old 14th Apr 2010, 11:21 am   #2
richwk1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Ericsson N1010 Pyramid: Variations?

Hello Russel

I can't help with identification much only to say that some of the parts as you mentioned do bare a resemblance to my early GECophone. Is it possibly some variant made by GEC or maybe a smaller manufacturer using there parts. The dial plunger and contacts definitely look like a GECophone.

Rich
Old 14th Apr 2010, 12:28 pm   #3
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Ericsson N1010 Pyramid: Variations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richwk1 View Post
Hello Russel

'I can't help with identification much only to say that some of the parts as you mentioned do bare a resemblance to my early GECophone.'
Well, I guess there isn't much to the circuitry that warrants any great variation. I've never seen a Jeek with an RF mic suppressor, though, nor a terminal-block alignment like this one. The paster diagram on the base-plate, rather than the case suggests that the majority of the circuitry and the chassis was made to be fitted to a 'foreign' case and switch, as might have been provided from a variety of sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richwk1 View Post
'Is it possibly some variant made by GEC or maybe a smaller manufacturer using there parts?
Don't know about GEC, but I'm thinking maybe a TMC knock-up using standard parts. It may even have been made to use abroad.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Closed Thread