UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th May 2011, 7:49 pm   #1
jimmyjo
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ferrograph 633

Hi all, I have just acquired a Ferrograph 633 it seems to spin OK when the the reels are not on the machine, as soon as they are put on and the tension is there, it slows right down to a snails pace, varying speeds as it goes... Any ideas? Thanks
Old 26th May 2011, 11:17 pm   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferrograph 633

Could be as simple as sticky shed tape. What type of tape are you using? Matt backed stuff is dubious on a Ferrograph 6 anyway, because of the pressure pads, but it should still run through the machine OK.
Old 27th May 2011, 8:59 am   #3
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Ferrograph 633

Hi,
Even if your tape is OK, tape used previous to you obtaining the machine could have left sticky deposits along the tape path.Thoroughly clean all the tape guides, heads, capstan and pinch wheel with suitable cleaner (I use meths) and a cotton bud.
I've had tapes that suffered sticky shed and they clogged up my ancient Ferrograph within minutes of me cleaning it. I was trying to recover old recordings but had to give up and bin the tape .
Hope this helps.
Cheers, Pete
Old 27th May 2011, 9:37 am   #4
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Ferrograph 633

Also check the speed transfer idlers , shiny or need spring adjustment.

Colin.
Closed Thread