UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jan 2018, 7:11 pm   #1
camtechman
Nonode

Default How to get my Mini LCD TV's To Work Via Argos Digital Box

This is my first time using this section as I'm more a user of the audio/cassette/record player sections but when it comes to TV stuff I'm a numpty !

I have 3 mini LCD TV's: Casio TV-500, Citizen ST055, & a Citizen ST655. Obviously they are analogue and each were designed to receive an analogue signal via their telescopic aerial. The Casio is designed for UHF 21-68 only, whereas both Citizens have a switch for either VHF & UHF, the UHF range on both being 21-69.

Back when digital transmissions started I had a Sony analogue TV and I bought a basic Argos Set Top box (Digihome DV940B "Digital Terrestrial TV Receiver"), which I still have and it has a single scart socket for connection to the scart socket on the TV and a pair of standard 75 Ohm type coax connectors, one female for aerial in and the other (male) marked "out" for connecting a coax lead to the TV's aerial in socket.

Will the Argos box provide a signal to run the mini LCD TV's and, if so, how would it connect to them as they only have telescopic aerials ?

Your advice would be welcome.
Old 30th Jan 2018, 7:15 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: How to get my Mini LCD TV's To Work Via Argos Digital Box

I don't think that box contains a modulator, so it won't work.

A box with a modulator just needs a length of coax with a plug on one end and a croc clip connected to the centre at the other end. Clip it to the telescopic aerial.
Old 30th Jan 2018, 7:38 pm   #3
camtechman
Nonode

Well, I may try that, I've nothing to lose, except my sanity .
Old 30th Jan 2018, 7:49 pm   #4
Robstan234
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Camtechman Maplin sell a Universal modulator £40, or you could use a freeview box through a video recorder. Goodmans did do a freeview box that had a modulator built in, bit rare now, I may have a faulty one if you want it PM me
Rob
Old 30th Jan 2018, 7:55 pm   #5
Sideband
Dekatron

The other option if your boxes don't have a modulator is to use an external one....there are many available on eBay but don't pay a fortune for one. I bought mine for £15. Simple...plug the scart from the digital box into the modulator, tune modulator to any desired UHF channel between 21 and 68, connect RF output of modulator to aerial of LCD tv, tune TV to selected channel.

I do this with my Sinclair FTV.
Old 30th Jan 2018, 8:11 pm   #6
KeithsTV
Nonode

Some PVR boxes, such as the Humax PVR9200T, have a UHF modulator built in. It may be worth trying to find one.

Keith
Old 30th Jan 2018, 8:33 pm   #7
hamid_1
Heptode

Your Digihome Freeview box doesn't have a modulator, but almost all video recorders had built-in modulators. If you still have a video recorder, try connecting that to the aerial of your pocket TV as described in post 2. (RF OUT from video recorder to TV aerial.) Play a tape and tune in your TV on the UHF band. You should see the tape playing on the TV.

If that works, you can connect your Freeview box to your video recorder via a SCART lead, then set your video recorder to AV or EXT as though you were recording from the SCART input (you don't actually have to record, it will work without a tape). The Freeview box will play through the modulator in the video recorder. That means you'll need to connect the RF OUT from the video recorder to the TV aerial. Don't connect the RF OUT from the Freeview box directly to the TV - it won't supply any analogue signals.

Another method, if any of your pocket TVs have AV inputs (usually a small headphone type socket marked AV) you can use a 3.5mm jack to RCA cable (or maybe a 2.5mm jack, depending on the size of your pocket TV's AV socket). You'll then need a SCART to Phono adaptor (AV Out) to plug into your Freeview box's SCART socket. No modulator needed. It should work straightaway, as soon as it's plugged in. You may have to switch your TV to AV mode if it's not automatic. If it didn't work and you get a buzzing sound, try swapping the phono plugs around on the audio and video out sockets.
Old 30th Jan 2018, 8:46 pm   #8
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Only a select few Freeview boxes have a UHF modulator. The ones that don't often have aerial IN and aerial OUT sockets, but don't be fooled, the OUT was just there to pass-through the analogue channels to the telly.

A trick you might like to try is using an old VHS machine if you have one.
Connect a SCART cable between your Argos box and the VHS, and connect an RF cable from RF out on the VHS to the pocket telly (you will have to couple it to the rod aerial with wire). You will need to select the AV mode on the VHS to see a picture, you may need its handset to do this, look for a button marked AV, or try selecting channel zero.

edit: crossed with hamid_1
Old 31st Jan 2018, 6:55 am   #9
camtechman
Nonode

Thanks all, plenty of ideas & options to try. As soon as the Hospital stops making appointments for blood tests, I'll get round to it and, as soon as I do, I'll let you know the outcome.

Cheers
Old 31st Jan 2018, 10:47 am   #10
mark pirate
Dekatron

My setup for using pocket/portable TV's is very simple, I use an old Humax Freeview box (with built in modulator), with a set top aerial plugged in to the RF out socket.
This then transmits the signal to any TV within a couple of feet using the set's built in aerial.

Results are very good, and no physical connection is needed, just tune the TV to the Freeview box signal.

Mark
Closed Thread