UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Dec 2015, 9:48 pm   #1
murphy512
Pentode

Default Re-paint Ferguson 352U

Hello,
I have just restored a Ferguson 352U originally painted in white and subsequently re-painted.
I have stripped the two layers of paint and had planned to leave it unpainted.
Unfortunately the Bakelite has some lighter spots and other imperfections which make me wonder if the manufacturer did paint some cabinets just because they were not perfect.
Does anybody know how to cure this problem (Brasso does not work) or any paint that looks like Bakelite?
And would it be a sin if I paint it say in red or other colour?
Thanks
Aldo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4800[1].jpg
Views:	129
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	116872   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4801[1].jpg
Views:	106
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	116873  
Old 12th Dec 2015, 10:08 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Re-paint Ferguson 352U

Ordinary dark brown looks very like dark bakelite, though obviously it's not identical.

Why not paint it white as it was originally?
Closed Thread