UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Nov 2015, 1:15 am   #1
brockwayds
Retired Dormant Member

Default HMV 130 new speaker cloth

I have bought an HMV 130 gramophone and want to know how to replace the speaker cloth. Do you take the wooden fretwork out? There is an intact metal mesh behind the ripped cloth. Or do you do something else? Simple explanations or any help much wanted please.
Old 29th Nov 2015, 10:54 am   #2
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: HMV 130 new speaker cloth

I did one of these a while back, I took the fretwork out loads of small screws to remove, but well worth the effort, have you got the new cloth ? Mick.
Old 29th Nov 2015, 6:01 pm   #3
Audio1950
Dekatron

It's years since I did one of these, but I remember having to remove the screws from the strip of wood at the back of the front panel, and sliding the complete fret upwards and out.

Replacement cloths are available from various outlets in the USA, and whilst they're not cheap, they look a whole lot better than the bits of curtain/dress materials that most people seem to use as replacements.

Barry
Old 4th Dec 2015, 6:30 pm   #4
brockwayds
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for this. But, my experience is total novice. There are screws for wood under platter. Does this lift off easily? I tried unscrewing one half of it and it was secured through metal thing on top attached to tone arm. Is it safe to unscrew other side and will whole thing lift off? Thanks.
Old 10th Dec 2015, 3:36 pm   #5
Audio1950
Dekatron

No, the screws under the platter (turntable) hold the motor in place, there is no need to remove them. You only need to remove the the four screws holding the wooden board that the motor is mounted on, and then lift the board and the motor using the metal knob provided on the front left hand side.
Closed Thread