UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Nov 2015, 1:28 pm   #1
mpegjohn
Hexode

Default Cleaning BC-221 cabinet

After removing the insides of my newly acquired BC-221T, I would like to clean the steel outer case, inside and out, as it has been stored in a very dirty environment by the looks of it.

What do people use to clean such a beast?

John
Old 12th Nov 2015, 2:13 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Cleaning BC-221 cabinet

Foam cleaner is one from CPC etc or good old washing up liquid.Dry with care of course.Chassis is possibly clean otherwise supermarket "Bang".
Old 12th Nov 2015, 2:30 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Bung it in the dishwasher.
Old 12th Nov 2015, 3:21 pm   #4
Karen O
Rest in Peace

I went a bit mad with the dishwasher at one time. It seemed like the answer to every dirty item - until I put a plastic toolbox in the washer. It came out looking pristine, except the lids of the compartments wouldn't click shut and the top and bottom edges didn't meet on closing. Should be fine for steel though, just make sure it dries quickly to avoid rust spots.

Kareno
Old 13th Nov 2015, 1:24 am   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

Some plastic goes very funny in the dishwasher. Interestingly, not the cheapo freebie "Tupperware" boxes that Chinese takeaways come in. Cleaned up they're great for freezing food in and pretty good for radio component storage too

They'd probably be good for storing Bakelite polish as well
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread