UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th May 2011, 5:41 pm   #21
ITAM805
Nonode

Default Re: What tape machine to "analogize" digital sound before re-recording on PC/MAC ?

Hi Tim, where did I say all types of music should be recorded at max levels to incur tape saturation? I didn't.
But you picked up on a very point I was trying to make (unsuccessfully it seems) with your Hendrix and Motown examples. There are DSP plug ins which try to emulate the Motown sound - why? Because as you correctly say, the engineers drove the tape into saturation and it worked I think you'd agree.

That's my point
Old 19th May 2011, 7:13 pm   #22
Mooly
Octode

Default Re: What tape machine to "analogize" digital sound before re-recording on PC/MAC ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by david winter View Post
Hi,

My brother is a professional digital music composer and lives in Paris. He wants to "warm" some sounds and samples by playing them from his Mac, recording them on tape, and re-recording them on the Mac.
Interesting question and problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon indicator View Post
He doesn't need tape to do this. In fact a good tape machine won't. Maybe a 1950s Domestic Brennel reel to reel at 3.25" ips might. More due to the electronics than the tape.
I agree... the way to do this is try and get the sound you are after electronically. A simple FET preamp biased such that the FET produces even harmonic distortion might be all that's needed. The ear is extremely sensitive to distortion and its spectra... as witnessed by all the endless discussions on other forums over perfect clinical sounding equipment vs those that love gear that can just sing and make music.
Old 19th May 2011, 11:44 pm   #23
mrmagnetophon
Retired Dormant Member

Timtape, I live near detroit and it is exactly true about the overdriving of tape, the VU meter on the tape machines was often hitting +3, I even seen some un-calibrated machines where 0DB was equivalent to +9DB to five a reference mark, so that they could purposely overdrive the machines.
-Chris
Old 20th May 2011, 10:40 am   #24
SeanStevens
Octode

I feel that some wires are getting crossed on this thread. If the Gentleman wants a 'tape era' sound there is a distinct possibility that the recording desk from this era would have been valve driven. This colours the sound - no matter how you record the output. Possibly this is what he is after.

These people make a living out of getting a sound that is from an era of valve and tape.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct0...ragstudios.htm

To artificially colour the output to get a more analogue sound, it ideally will need to go through a valve amp or valve amp simulator.

SEAN
Old 21st May 2011, 6:25 am   #25
TIMTAPE
Octode

Itam805,

You were right. You didnt say all types of music should be recorded with tape saturation. I stand corrected.

Still, even at conservative input levels, the very best analog audio tape recording adds much more distortion, pleasing or otherwise, audible or otherwise, than does a digital recording. This an audio engineering fact.

For me, sometimes I like those distortions. Most of the time I dont. But regardless of my personal preferences, distortions of the input signal they most definitely are.

Does analog tape "sound better" than digital? If that's the sound you're after, I'm sure it does - to you.

Best wishes,
Tim
Closed Thread