UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th May 2011, 6:59 pm   #1
zooterman
Retired Dormant Member

Default Info wanted on Toshiba AD-3

Hi All,
I have unearthed from my stash a Toshiba AD-3 it says it's an Auto dynamic range expansion system, it has the name AUREX on it, can anyone enlighten me, what does it do, and how would you use it in a system.
Yeah I know i'm thick, we can't all be brain surgeons.
Thanks Wal
Old 13th May 2011, 7:51 pm   #2
ITAM805
Nonode

Default Re: Info wanted on Toshiba AD-3

Hi Zooterman, the AD_3 was Toshiba's attempt at DBX NR and it worked quite well. I had a pair of them that I used for mastering on a Teac A6100. It had the very useful function of variable degree of expansion on playback thus allowing some nice compression FX. In fact I had the A6100 converted to 30ips and used the Tosh for some gentle 2:1 comp. Nice little piece of kit

Last edited by ITAM805; 13th May 2011 at 8:01 pm.
Old 15th May 2011, 3:03 pm   #3
zooterman
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the info, I am more enlightened now, have to see if I can get a manual for it.
Thanks again
Old 15th May 2011, 7:08 pm   #4
ITAM805
Nonode

Hi zooterman. It's been a few years since I used the Toshiba but for what it's worth, here's how I remember using it - caveat, the memory's not as good as it used to be!

IIRC, to operate the Tosh as a tape noise reduction unit - switch the control to 'record' and press the calibrate button, this send a 1kHz tone to tape - I think you set your input level so as to get -6db on the meters. Record the tone for a minute or so. Then switch to playback and play the tone off tape. There are two pre-sets ( L and R), adjust these in turn while playing the tone back off tape - each channel has triangular led which will light when the machine is calibrated correctly (top and bottom led's both lit). As I said before you can vary the expansion off tape which allows some interesting effects. Have fun!

Mick

Last edited by ITAM805; 15th May 2011 at 7:15 pm.
Old 15th May 2011, 9:20 pm   #5
ITAM805
Nonode

PS, What I meant to say above was "IIRC, to calibrate the Tosh as a tape noise reduction unit..."

Once calibrated then it's simply a matter of remembering to switch the REC/PB control when recording

Simples!

Mick
Old 16th May 2011, 6:55 pm   #6
zooterman
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Mick.
Closed Thread