UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Oct 2015, 9:23 pm   #1
kirstyd
Heptode

Default Repairing old BSR cartridges.

Hi all
considering what replacement carts cost these days i decided to have a go at repairing one so after gently grinding off the rivet with a Dremmel i carefully prised it open with a knife sure enough the small metal terminals were all tarnished i polished them up [with the Dremmel]and also cleaned the strips of foil that come from the element i then gave it a little squirt of switch cleaner before carefully putting it back together and lo and behold it works a treat .I had four of these in my box of junk i gave each one the same treatment and every one works perfectly I have even done a stereo one granted a little more complicated but even that is working well heres a fiew photos of what i found inside them .These things are no longer a throw away item and are well worth spending a little time on
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030339.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	114121   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030342.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	114122   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030344.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	114123   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030345.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	114124   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030348.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	114125  

Old 10th Oct 2015, 9:28 pm   #2
kirstyd
Heptode

Default Re: repairing old BSR cartridges

this is the stereo cart .Once tested all thats left to do is put a blob of Araldite on each one to stop it coming apart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030348.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	114126   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030349.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	114127   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030350.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	114128  
Old 10th Oct 2015, 10:05 pm   #3
recordplayer
Pentode

I have also been repairing the old B.S.R. X5M AND X5H carts for some time now and the SX6M cart can be repaired as well - usually as you say its the foil connectors on the element and the metal that is part of the pins inside that gets really tarnished and dirty and these cartridges are kinder to your records than the old TC8 mono cartridges so I prefer to repair them , I don't use switch cleaner though just I.P.A. solvent or methylated spirit on the foil and metal of the pin inside and I make sure i don't get any on the crystal element as it can damage it ! , Tony .
Old 10th Oct 2015, 11:05 pm   #4
kirstyd
Heptode

thanks for that tip i will be carefull in future .i also have some Sonotone carts that seem to have the same fault have you ever had a go at one of those? .they are not as robust as the BSR ones
Old 10th Oct 2015, 11:47 pm   #5
Techman
Dekatron

Very well done on the repairs!

All these type of cartridges suffer from this type of fault.

I’ve got a box of ‘duds’ that I need to get round to doing some time when I get some spare time.

You should certainly never bin a dud cartridge, as I’ve noticed that there’s always a market for selling them on-line, so It’s been fairly obvious for some time that there are a few people already repairing them.

Forum member ‘Ben’ has already produced a comprehensive post/thread on dismantling and repairing one of the Sonotone cartridges (do a search), so no need for repeats on this one.
Old 11th Oct 2015, 12:22 am   #6
Techman
Dekatron

Ok, so I’ve just done a search and here’s the thread on the Sonotone repair:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=49319
Old 11th Oct 2015, 12:33 am   #7
julie_m
Dekatron

Fascinating ..... So then, the next question has got to be ..... Has anyone tried growing their own crystals of Rochelle Salt (sodium potassium tartarate tetrahydrate) and replacing the sensing element?
Old 11th Oct 2015, 7:12 am   #8
leslie5555
Heptode

Ha ha I read up on how to make it as I find this kind of stuff fascinating, but it is such a long and drawn out process I decided not to bother, but I may still give it a go sometime when I've not got much going on.
Old 11th Oct 2015, 1:20 pm   #9

Default Re: Repairing old BSR cartridges.

Quote:
Has anyone tried growing their own crystals of Rochelle Salt
Why not cut a piezo beeper into slices instead?

Old 11th Oct 2015, 8:15 pm   #10
D_S_J_R
Heptode

Some cartridges that may be difficult to work on are the later Acos models such as the GP96 as used in Hacker record players and the once superior GP104 model. These used a form of silicon? grease around the ceramic elements to damp hf down. This stuff can get onto the inner terminals and a channel or two can become intermittent sadly. The GP104 seems to suffer some hardening of the main stylus to element coupling block and the sound becomes a little 'fiercer' than I remember it being when new.

Well done on these BSR cartridges, by the way

Dave
Old 12th Oct 2015, 10:39 am   #11
PsychMan
Octode

Thanks, this is of great interest to me. Inevitably as suitable cartridges are not produced now we will need to get creative to keep this technology alive in the future. Id have thought replacing old Rochelle crystals with ceramic elements would have been a far better option given their longevity. I have some Garrard GCS8 cartridges Im looking to try this with, if I can find a suitable matierial
Old 12th Oct 2015, 12:31 pm   #12
AC/HL
Dekatron

Reworking strain gauges has been suggested in the past: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=51794
Closed Thread