UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jul 2019, 2:26 pm   #21
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: E.A.R Bantam Reproducer

I have 2 similar Collaro 4 speed single player decks (from 1957) and both take many minutes to reach the correct speed. The 2 adjuster screws facing you under the tone arm are NOT related to the auto-stop feature.
Old 18th Jul 2019, 3:58 pm   #22
peter_sol
Octode

If this is the single player deck. the 2 screws do not adjust they just clamp.
make sure they are both screwed in the same amount.
With the arm fully towards the centre the left hand side of the head should be about a 1/2 inch away from the spindle.
It should not be wrong but if the arm has been forced, there is a clamp at the arm base.
Loosen the screw and re position the arm.
Old 19th Jul 2019, 3:03 am   #23
TMGE666
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien Nunes View Post
There are some sticky topics at the head of this sub-forum with descriptions of how the velocity trip works and various specific changers. Have a read first - if you are not familiar with autochangers some of the mechanisms are not intuitive to a first inspection.

Speed too low when cold indicates congealed oil / grease (or slipping idler) and like the trip mechanism should be fine after a careful clean and relube.
Thanks for the heads up. It appeared to me as if it wanted to “apply the brakes” too early. Having adjusted the two screws under the tone arm, it at least gets to the end of the record now, although its hit and miss whether it stops or not. As you have gathered , its my first time looking at this andso appreciate everybodys help and patience.
Cheers,
D
Old 19th Jul 2019, 4:39 am   #24
TMGE666
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_sol View Post
If this is the single player deck. the 2 screws do not adjust they just clamp.
make sure they are both screwed in the same amount.
With the arm fully towards the centre the left hand side of the head should be about a 1/2 inch away from the spindle.
It should not be wrong but if the arm has been forced, there is a clamp at the arm base.
Loosen the screw and re position the arm.
Ok - if this is the clamp underneath the tone arm to which a flat bar is attached that goes off to the switch mech - I loosened the nut and pushed the bar right back ( there was some travel) re tightened the nut and now all is well. Playing a “modern” record makes a difference too , Mr Sandman by the Four Aces behaved impeccably as opposed to Love Is The Sweetest Thing by Jack Payne which put up a fight! Will clean up and lube and see how it goes , touch wood, all OK.Even the motor / idling wheel is behaving itself. So the records now play all the way through and the switch turns off the motor on contemporary records at least.
Thanks all again.
Cheers,
D
Old 19th Jul 2019, 5:06 pm   #25
peter_sol
Octode

OK thats a good job done. see my comment re the distance of the arm from the spindle when fully over to the right.
may need checking.
Old 20th Jul 2019, 7:18 am   #26
TMGE666
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_sol View Post
OK thats a good job done. see my comment re the distance of the arm from the spindle when fully over to the right.
may need checking.
Will do, thanks again.

Cheers,
D
Closed Thread