UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2017, 10:27 am   #1
slatermethuen
Retired Dormant Member

Default Aerialite portable tape recorder - any information?

Hi,

I found a couple of tape recorders at the back of a cupboard at my late father's house.

One is an 'Aerialite Trav-Ler'. I can't find any information about it on the Internet other than it was made by Aerialite, Hargreaves Works, Congleton, Cheshire. I guess it dates from the late '50s.

Does anyone have any more information about this model? Would it be worth trying to get it working (I haven't tried, but I imagine rubber bits would have worn out by now)?

Pictures here: https://goo.gl/photos/rEmRoUcf2winF4CU6

Andy
Old 21st May 2017, 11:06 am   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Aerialite portable tape recorder - any information?

Not a lot on the web but found some specs in this magazine....Page 17, year 1961:

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...UK-1961-03.pdf

Lawrence.
Old 21st May 2017, 11:58 am   #3
slatermethuen
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks. That's the only one I found. I'm amazed it cost so much! £30 must have been at least a month's salary for my dad back then.
Old 21st May 2017, 12:04 pm   #4
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I had a Trav-Ler long ago -don't remember it having been made by Aerialite, but probably that only signifies that the badge had dropped off. The item Lawrence gives looks equivalent to a Hi-Fi Year Book listing, so is probably as much as you would get from that source. What I do distinctly remember is that surplus examples of the machine were advertised fairly prominently in Wireless World, around 1960-'62: as three or four copies from that period came my way in '69 and I more or less learned certain of their contents by heart They haven't quite disintegrated yet, so I might be able to look up one of the ads.

Paul
Old 21st May 2017, 2:43 pm   #5
brenellic2000
Octode

The Casian 'Trave-ler' (Train-road-aeroplane-vessel-lasting-exceptional-recording) first appeared in the UK circa autumn 1960. Its true origin is uncertain, but UK 'manufacture' and distribution passed to Aerialite in December 1960... and it disappeared soon after.
Old 21st May 2017, 5:16 pm   #6
slatermethuen
Retired Dormant Member

Excellent information! So it must be a bit newer than I thought. I love the acronym; sounds to me like it might have originated in the states.
Old 21st May 2017, 7:36 pm   #7
julie_m
Dekatron

I think it's an early case of making something up to match an abbreviation that had already been chosen .....
Old 21st May 2017, 9:17 pm   #8
ben
Dekatron

Neat little unit, though I wouldn't expect much in terms of sound quality.
Don't leave that function selector in 'play', you'll make an indentation on the pinch roller!
Old 21st May 2017, 9:27 pm   #9
slatermethuen
Retired Dormant Member

I'll change it straight away, but you may be 50 years late with that advice!
Old 22nd May 2017, 11:18 am   #10
brenellic2000
Octode

A lot of these inexpensive tape deck designs originate from Italy and were also marketed in the USA.

Likewise the respected American Steelman 'Transitape' was briefly assembled in the UK by Redifon and distributed by TelecTronic.

These 'toys' are in a world of their own as they appear under so many names! It has always surprised me that serious manufacturers became involved, but if production capacity is under utilised, any contract helps pay the bills!
Old 24th May 2017, 5:48 pm   #11
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Just to complete things, the second machine is a remarkably clean 'Sound' department store special. It uses a BSR TRD2, well known in these circles. The mechanics are a bit agricultural, but they certainly last well. Belts aren't a problem but seized pivots certainly are. I see this one was left in the rewind position - it may well not revert to stop any more. Nice machine, simple electronics. and may be a more viable project for you.
Glyn
Closed Thread