UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jun 2016, 3:42 pm   #21
Clydeuk
Hexode

Default Re: Ferguson 218 UXL

To he honest I would leave the can as is unless it is proved to be faulty. I am not one who believes in blanket capacitor replacements except for known bad types (wax paper/ mouldseals etc). Some of the big drawbacks of just replacing them all are that you may introduce a fault through error (incorrect connection - wrong value etc.) and also just replacing all capacitors will teach you nothing about the equipment at all.

If the electrolytic is visibly leaking/venting or the set has severe hum and the can is getting warm then replacement will be needed. If you look through the stickies you will find out about reforming electrolytics. A simple lamp limiter will help you and can be made cheaply.
Old 9th Jun 2016, 4:43 pm   #22
paulsherwin

If the set has been used recently then the smoothers may indeed be OK.
Old 10th Jun 2016, 10:28 am   #23
mjddewet
Triode

Yep, I after I had a look at the ridiculous amount of moolah wanted locally for the replacement elctro's for the smoothing can, I am indeed going to leave that alone. I'll do a few tests on it before I'll part with half of my children's inheritance.

The weekend is upon us, and the Cape weather forecast seems to suggest it's best to stay indoors, I'll spend some time on the Ferguson.
Old 6th Mar 2017, 10:39 am   #24
mjddewet
Triode

Default Re Ferguson 218

See my previous thread here:
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=126881

Some feedback/progress:
My UK-residing son sourced some UL84 valves for me, and I've ordered some caps from local RS. The conversion from UL41 to UL84 will therefore happen.

He arrived here on Friday with the glass envelopes and contents intact.

The restore is now set for the next weekend or two and maybe more.

I will try and keep a running commentary on here on progress.

Last edited by AC/HL; 6th Mar 2017 at 4:14 pm. Reason: Thread reopened
Old 6th Mar 2017, 10:54 am   #25
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: Re Ferguson 218

Hope you got some B9A valve sockets too!
Old 7th Mar 2017, 8:01 am   #26
mjddewet
Triode

Yep, some B9A valve sockets left over from a previous project: Clone of a Fender Blackface Champ valve amp.

I SO enjoyed building the amp (with very limited electronic knowledge) that I'm hooked on valve technology.

Down our side gthe costs of transformers are more than an arm and a leg, and with the exchange rate not in our favour, it's gotten to the point where I'm considering building my own.
Old 29th May 2017, 10:11 am   #27
mjddewet
Triode

Some feedback / progress report on the Ferguson:

Recap of those old paper waxies has been done, but I've left the ones in the tuning side quite alone. Tests on those revealed that they are still OK for now.

Waxies around the valves have all been replaced. I couldn't get (read afford) the nice axial caps, so had to settle with what was available from RS here in South Africa.

I've also installed a B9A valve socket (ceramic one) and wired up for the UL84 with 220ohm and 25uF bias circuit.

I also replaced all the wires that had become brittle over the years with similar colour from old PC PSU wires...

Tonight will be wiring in the output transformer.
(mobile phone 'before' photos does help)

And then power on sans valves and looking for magic smoke...
And then with valves...

Down here, the name Ferguson only has one connotation, and it's either good or 'orrible: The old grey Ferguson tractor.

Thank goodness the one on the workbench didn't loose it's sleeves into the sump at startup...
Closed Thread