UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Nov 2018, 10:24 pm   #1
Ferguson 2000
Tetrode

Default Baird Colour Television 700 Series

While replying to the thread Baird 8741 I remembered that I have a Radio Rentals colour television leaflet entitled:

Colour TV by Radio Rentals

This listed the models and includes a price list dated 2 Nov. 68.

All the sets are described as console, one without doors and three with doors. Model numbers are 19" 705/718; 25" 701/712; 25" 703/713 and 25" 704/714. The three 25" sets having different cabinets.

The "small" 19" I could just about carry on my own - in an emergency - unpleasant customer who did not ring for service until the afternoon, which meant a journey from Birmingham to a village south of Leamington Spa.

The annual rental of the 19" was £ 65 per annum or you could buy it for 250 gns.

Geoffrey.
Old 16th Nov 2018, 10:41 pm   #2
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: Baird Colour Television 700 Series

The Baird 705 was a re-badged GEC 2028.

DFWB.
Old 17th Nov 2018, 3:32 pm   #3
Richard_FM
Nonode

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/baird/

Some of the models mentioned above are listed in the above link to a Baird Brochure.

The 704 was a console unit that could be mistaken for a sideboard when the doors were closed. I guess it wasn't popular with Radio Rental engineers who had to lug them up stairs.

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/radio-rentals/

The September 1973 price list still has the 701 & 703 available, as part of the budget range.
Old 17th Nov 2018, 5:14 pm   #4
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
That RR price list is not exactly correct! It trumpets 'fully transistorised sets' then one set illustrated below is the Baird 8750 which, although a very good TV, was a hybrid Korting in disguise.
The 701/3 must have seemed pretty dated by 1973, especially when faced with the new chopper circuitry in the Thorn 3000. Customers would have been bemused by the rotary tuners as well!
Closed Thread