UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Oct 2016, 3:02 pm   #1
Wendymott
Octode

Default RF Power meter (AD8307)

Hi Peeps. While building my SSB exciter and PA... I realised I had no method of checking the RF Power output, or "Relative" power. Thus I started a search on the tinternet and came across various projects and modules using the AD8307 device. I purchased a module from the far east, and also a number of chips only, to make my own, using a circuit by FOXDELTA. Being a canny yorkshire person with lots of spare time, I made my own pcb, bought the 16F876 PIC which I programmed from the files published. The original file date was 2002, but a recent 2008 file was also downloaded.

The main thrust of my query is this.. The Power meter uses 2 X AD8307, one for RF measurement and the other for Reverse voltage in a SWR meter bridge. However both have an input resistive divider of 3 x parallel 100R in series with the input and 3 X parallel 100R to ground, thus giving an input R of 33R. Now you and I know that most circuits chose or use 50R as the terminal impedance.
I looked at the complete module and that has a 50R input impedance.
I can only assume that the software writer used an "odd" lookup table for 33R instead of 50R.
Has anyone "out there" either bought a module or tried the FoxDelta module and what conclusions were made.
I am quite impressed with the display data, and I am loathed to start again.
See attached photo's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Purchased module.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	130793   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front view.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	130794   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear view.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	130795   Click image for larger version

Name:	RF POWER METER SCH ver 3.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	130796  

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 2nd Oct 2016, 4:44 pm   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: RF Power meter (AD8307)

Ignoring the amplifiers input impedance I make it approx 66 Ohms?

Lawrence.
Old 2nd Oct 2016, 10:03 pm   #3
Wendymott
Octode

Default Re: RF Power meter (AD8307)

Ooops how clumsy of me..... grrrr Thanks Lawrence....

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Closed Thread