UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Apr 2014, 11:38 am   #1
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Default DRM broadcasts

While looking for the squelch mod for my Tecsun PL660 I also came across a mod for taking a 455KHz IF feed into a 455KHz to 12KHz converter and then into a PC sound card for decoding DRM radio broadcasts via appropriate software. This looked like an interesting project and I started considering building a 455KHz to 12KHz downconverter for the purpose. But I also noted on various forums - including on UK Vintage Radio - that seem to suggest that the uptake was poor (with the exception perhaps of one or two countries - the western world seems to have embraced DAB) and that the DRM initiative didn't really 'take off'? So I'm now left wondering whether I will still be able to pick up any signals and, therefore, whether its still worthwhile building a downconverter, particularly in the UK?

I was also wondering whether the downconverter (with appropriate decoder software) might also serve other useful purposes. For example, would it provide a better way of tuning in to PSK31 and other 'digital' signals, including CW? I've had very mixed results decoding such signals via audio out and wondered the downconverter, perhaps with the addition of appropriate filters, might give better results?
Old 5th Apr 2014, 9:56 am   #2
x72
Tetrode

Default Re: DRM broadcasts

There is a listing of DRM here: http://www.baseportal.com/baseportal/drmdx/main

I last played with it 10 years ago and it looks like there are less transmissions now than there were in 2003. RTL was one of the stronger signals then but seems to have gone. Some on the current list should be ok here.
Old 5th Apr 2014, 12:40 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: DRM broadcasts

BBC World Service (short wave) from Woofferton looks like a good starting point.

Incidentally, finding that list rather random (at least, I haven't spotted the significance of the order), I downloaded the data into a spreadsheet and have sorted it into frequency within country. It's probably best that I don't post it here, and it would have to be in another form than a spreadsheet anyway, but I could email it if people contact me by PM.