UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th May 2005, 11:44 pm   #1
ALMADHI
Retired Dormant Member

Question Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 4 Computer

Hello , everyone wondering do you consider Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 4 a vintage computer , I have this computer since my study in 1983 , but we do not have these type of computer here in Saudi Arabia are they still available in U.K. or U.S.A. because these computers use assembly language . and I need spare parts and 5.25 floppy disks .

Any thought you would have be greatly appreciated .

Best Regards
Old 19th May 2005, 5:56 pm   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 4 Computer

Well I have an original IBM AT dating from the same era (with original colour monitor, keyboard, MS mouse etc) which I consider to be vintage. They don't seem to be worth much yet, but that's not the point as far as I am concerned. Some of the original home computers seem to attract some interest in eBay (especially the ZX80 if in good condition).

5.25" floppy disks appear regularly on eBay, so they shouldn't be a problem. As for the other parts, it depends if they are unique to the one computer or if they are more general.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 19th May 2005, 7:21 pm   #3
paulsherwin

I believe the TRS-80 was an IBM sort-of-compatible running DOS. It was sometimes unkindly referred to as the Trash-80 They were sold through Tandy stores in the UK and through Radio Shack in the US.

Tandy no longer exists in Britain. I don't know if they still sell their own brands of computer in the US, but I suspect not.

My definition of a vintage computer is something that is too feeble to be put to any practical use. Most early 80s desktop computers will fall into this category, as will 286 ATs and 386s. 486s can actually be used for a few things (low end fileserving and webserving, mail hosting or firewalling for example) so they're just junk!

Best regards, Paul
Old 19th May 2005, 7:46 pm   #4
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Googling TRS-80 produces quite a few sites of interest:-

http://www.kjsl.com/trs80/

Looks like there's plenty of people still knowledgeable about them.

Regards, Mick. .
Old 19th May 2005, 8:40 pm   #5
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin
I believe the TRS-80 was an IBM sort-of-compatible running DOS. It was sometimes unkindly referred to as the Trash-80 They were sold through Tandy stores in the UK and through Radio Shack in the US.
After digging around, I now know that my belief was wrong. I was thinking of the Tandy / Radio Shack 1000 which was a little later.

Best regards, Paul
Old 5th Jun 2005, 12:57 pm   #6
Alf
Hexode

Wasn't the Dragon 32 computer similar to the TRS 80?, The Dragon was my first computer and it replaced my Creed 7E teleprinter for RTTY transmission
Old 5th Jun 2005, 7:59 pm   #7
jay_oldstuff
Octode

the dragon 32 was a psudo copy on the trs-80 it used basicaly the same version of basic and the arcitecture was very simler most listings found in magaziens semed to work on eather computer but a fair bit of comersial software espesialy any using graphics was a bit more picky
Closed Thread