UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Sep 2018, 8:59 am   #41
Brigham
Octode

Default Re: Anglepoise bulbs

Those LED filament bulbs are also available in 'pearl' or 'frosted' form.
These are the types I use in 'non-vintage' applications, being indistinguishable from normal filament lamps.
Old 13th Sep 2018, 12:33 pm   #42
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Re: Anglepoise bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
100W would be OTT for Anglepoise use.
Why? Excessive heat output? Probability of reduced bulb life due to the shade reducing dissipation of the heat from that bulb? Excessive light output?

Whatever, I've been using 100-W. incandescent bulbs in four Anglepoise lamps here for many years: no problems at all - just need to remember not to touch the shade!

Al.
Old 13th Sep 2018, 12:47 pm   #43
emeritus
Dekatron

I found that the original Bakelite lampholder of mine deteriorated due to the heat of a 100W bulb. I replaced it with a brass lampholder holder, which did require adjusting the springs to compensate for the extra weight. I now use 40W or 60W reflector lamps, of which I laid in a stock when they were still available.
Old 13th Sep 2018, 2:18 pm   #44
John10b
Nonode

I’m currently using a 60w bulb, last one, so I will be getting a “modern” led, I will ensure the output is at least 800 Lumins preferable 1000 +.
Cheers
John
Old 13th Sep 2018, 5:00 pm   #45
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Anglepoise bulbs

Re: post 43: fitment of a brass lamp-holder as a replacement. Your findings and solution are same as mine.

Al.
Old 13th Sep 2018, 7:29 pm   #46
John10b
Nonode

I was considering using my brass holder with ceramic insert, but then I wondered about safety and the fact that there is no earth lead going to lamp. This lamp and all my stuff will pass to my grandchildren.
I tried and failed to run an earth lead up inside lamp so decided to fit plastic holder instead.
Mine is very old and I wonder do the slightly younger versions have an earth lead fitted?
Cheers
John
Old 13th Sep 2018, 8:24 pm   #47
AC/HL
Dekatron

The earth is separated before the other two wires go into the hollow arm, and terminates on the spring anchorage.
Old 13th Sep 2018, 9:24 pm   #48
John10b
Nonode

Mine is fitted with a flat 2 core lead, I presume it’s original. Interestingly there is the “double square sign” inside the lamp holder, which today as I understand it means it’s double insulated, but can that be, this lamp is very old, when did the double insulated sign first appear?
Cheers
John
Old 13th Sep 2018, 11:06 pm   #49
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
Quote:
Why? Excessive heat output? Probability of reduced bulb life due to the shade reducing dissipation of the heat from that bulb? Excessive light output?

Whatever, I've been using 100-W. incandescent bulbs in four Anglepoise lamps here for many years: no problems at all - just need to remember not to touch the shade!

Al.
My reason for stating this is indeed the heat output from the 100W bulb. The early Anglepoise shades were bakelite (silver painted inside) and got quite hot enough with 60W even in good condition- a few years on with most of the silvering gone, they would stink even at 60W. A quick fix back in the day was to use a reflector bulb to protect the shade from the heat, 60W was bright enough, though I suppose you might have got away with 100W too.

Later lamps (clones?) with metal shades wouldn't have been fried by a 100W bulb, but would still have got very hot!

Nowadays, mechanical considerations apart, you could use as bright a low energy bulb as you liked.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 14th Sep 2018, 5:01 pm   #50
John10b
Nonode

My Anglepoise lamp has a metal shade and the name on the side near the heavy base, I’m presuming it to be original.
I’ve just purchased an led bc bulb (100w equivalent) from Tesco for about £7, the output is 1000 lumins and I have just fitted it, the illumination is excellent, perfect for my bench work. The only observation is the length of bulb, 2 to 3 cm longer, but I have no problem with that.
Cheers
John
Old 14th Sep 2018, 5:20 pm   #51
AC/HL
Dekatron

Dating guide: https://www.anglepoise.com/faq/view/...glepoiser-lamp

Or a bit more detail on the 1227: https://twelvetwentyseven.wordpress....ing-your-1227/
Old 14th Sep 2018, 7:03 pm   #52
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Anglepoise bulbs

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
Quote:
My reason for stating this is indeed the heat output from the 100W bulb. The early Anglepoise shades were bakelite . . . etc . . .
Ah! I see: thank you. I have never seen - nor heard of - bakelite shades fitted to Anglepoise lamps. (You learn something interesting often on this site!) So perhaps my 'very old' all-metal Anglepoise isn't as old as I thought - not that that's relevant. IIRC & FWIW, it came my way about 1970.
Edit. Following the post above from AC/HL, (for which "thank you"), this Anglepoise of mine is of the 1960 -1969 vintage.

Al.

Last edited by Skywave; 14th Sep 2018 at 7:15 pm. Reason: Add the 'Edit'. And then further corrections!
Old 14th Sep 2018, 7:48 pm   #53
John10b
Nonode

The post from AC:HL is very informative, thank you. As far as I can see no mention of the material the shade is made of, pity, as I didn’t know some were made of Bakelite either, but that is the good thing about this forum, I learn something every day.
Cheers
John
Old 14th Sep 2018, 11:00 pm   #54
Herald1360
Dekatron

Well, it might not have been actual bakelite, but it was a hard black plastic of some sort and definitely smelled a bit when it got hot!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 14th Sep 2018, 11:28 pm   #55
Skywave
Rest in Peace

I have known certain types /makes of 'plastic' bayonet cap bulb holders to produce the most awful smell if they are substantially overheated . . . often caused by the (erroneous) fitment of an incandescent bulb of 100-W or above.
ISTR that that smell to be somewhat reminiscent of rotting fish Once smelt ... never forgotten!

Al.
Old 15th Sep 2018, 1:07 am   #56
AC/HL
Dekatron

It would seem that Bakelite was used for a while due to post war aluminium shortages.
Old 15th Sep 2018, 1:47 am   #57
Refugee
Dekatron

I can remember finding a broken plastic light shade that stank of fish when it was chucked onto a bonfire. It was a sort of cream colour.
Old 15th Sep 2018, 8:33 am   #58
John10b
Nonode

I certainly remember the fish smell.
Many years ago the building manger of the very large workshop facility that I had just joined was convinced that a dead rodent had died in the air con, and was just about to call in the environmental team to look for it, however it turned out to be a double 13amp socket “cooking”, we all had a bit of a laugh over that.
Cheers
John
Old 15th Sep 2018, 11:10 am   #59
Richard_FM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
It would seem that Bakelite was used for a while due to post war aluminium shortages.
I was thinking that metal shortages might have meant a switch to bakelite.
Old 15th Sep 2018, 2:41 pm   #60
emeritus
Dekatron

About 20 years ago a couple of our circa 20 year old lamp holders got the stinking fish syndrome, cured by fitting new skirts. A label on the lampholder of the MK pendant set I bought a few days ago says it is rated for lamps of up to 150W.
Closed Thread