UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jul 2018, 11:40 pm   #1
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Dipole centres for home-brew aerials.

Moonraker do a comprehensive selection of dipole centres for home-brew aerial construction. The type which accept aluminium rods as antenna elements are particularly useful for FM broadcast reception. It basically converts a 25mm boom to two clamped-in aluminium rods of approximately 10mm diameter, and takes all the hard work out of construction. Two screw type terminals inside a plastic cap allow easy connection of the coax. The other types are more suitable for amateur radio work, incorporating SO239 sockets etc. They seem to be quite robust as I have had a few in service outside over a number of years now without problem.
Alan.
Old 3rd Jul 2018, 9:57 am   #2
Jonster
Heptode

Default Re: Dipole centres for home-brew aerials.

Another and much respected supplier of all things needed for building your own antennas is Sandpiper. https://www.sandpiperaerials.com/ I have had good service from them over the years. Their products work well they also match and resonate at the frequencies they are designed for.
Old 3rd Jul 2018, 7:16 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I've had good service from Sandpiper over the years.

Sometime I must write-up my use of a plastic 3--way 25mm conduit-box as a dipole-centre.
Old 3rd Jul 2018, 8:37 pm   #4
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I would agree with the use of 20mm plastic conduit fittings. They lend themselves well to aerial construction. I have used them in the past, partly because we have boxes of rarely used fittings for both metal and plastic conduit at work to ratch through when in need of an odd part. Saddles are useful for all kinds things too. The only downside is that conduit fittings look a bit chunky and agricultural, particularly when mounted outside for all to see. The dipole centres supplied by Moonraker and Sandpiper are near enough to the "real thing" so don't raise suspicion when used. In other words they almost look like commercial antennas, which seem to be accepted by the general population when attched to your chimney stack or whatever. B+Q stock nice aluminium rods of various diameters too, for elements, although they aren't cheap.
Alan.
Old 4th Jul 2018, 1:14 pm   #5
dodgy-dxer
Heptode

www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk are good for tubing, both metric and imperial and supply by post at reasonable cost.

Fred
Old 5th Jul 2018, 12:48 am   #6
Nymrod121
Nonode

Rapid Metals are good (I have an outlet not far away from me) - the team are very helpful & will always advise you on most cost-effective option if you brief them on your intended use
I have a 'Fuba UKA Stereo 8' reproduction as one of my numerous rountuits ... folding the dipole tubing was the easy bit - but three years later & I'm still thinking about the centre box, having done a trial run using standard conduit box/fittings.
AtB
Guy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0154.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	165567   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0155.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	165568   Click image for larger version