UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Nov 2019, 1:02 pm   #1
MurphyNut
Heptode

Default Techmoan

The name doesn't sound promising but I find this youtube channel very interesting. It covers a lot of fascinating subjects, particularly old formats and how audio developed.
I like the presenters enthusiasm and boundless knowledge.....though he might be a little overpowering to some.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Techmoan/videos
Old 11th Nov 2019, 1:18 pm   #2
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Default Re: Techmoan

Interesting selection of videos.

I went straight for Why DAB Sounds So Bad - I think its a good example of the videos as whilst critical it backs up everything he says.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 11th Nov 2019, 1:21 pm   #3
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: Techmoan

Good afternoon,
I have seen quite a good number of his videos, quite a lot made on interesting and obsolete recording standards as well as unusual record decks, tape recorders the Tefifon ECT.
Old 11th Nov 2019, 5:36 pm   #4
Andrew2
Nonode

I must have spent hours and hours watching his videos. His stuff on old or unusual audio and video media and formats is fascinating.
Old 11th Nov 2019, 6:57 pm   #5
neil29
Heptode

I've watched several of his videos too and also found them interesting.

Cheers
Neil.
Old 11th Nov 2019, 9:56 pm   #6
ITAM805
Nonode

Agree. Couple of my favourites - dbx disc and the quirky Tefifon
Old 12th Nov 2019, 12:10 am   #7
matthewhouse
Octode

I've been subscribed to his channel for some months now, very enjoyable!
Old 12th Nov 2019, 9:15 pm   #8
Tim
Dekatron

He did a very interesting video on Radio station jingle (cart)machines.
It kindled memories of a few years as a volunteer at Bristol hospital radio, where I would engineer some programmes( I did go in front of the mic once, and was absolutely petrified, and for the first time in my life speechless. I think anyone listening to my pathetic effort was probably similarly affected!) and do odd jobs around the studio such as cleaning tape deck, reclaiming magnetic tape, repairing patch leads etc. and occasionally threading up a “cart” with an endless loop of the special graphite lubricated tape.
The technology was very similar to an 8 track cartridge, but the idler wheel was “ applied” suddenly by means of a solenoid driven mechanism, to trap the tape between it and a constantly driven capstan spindle with a rather satisfying clonk.
Old 13th Nov 2019, 2:12 pm   #9
Whaam68
Hexode

I ordered & assembled the "Cronixie" clock kit off the back of one of his YouTube video's. Both the video & the clock are first rate!
Mike
Closed Thread