UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Sep 2019, 7:18 am   #1
sparkymike
Octode

Default HMV model 1122

I was given an HMV model 1122 table radio last week circa 1951,(Festival of Britain year) used daily by a pensioner. Apart from usual dust and grime it works fine. One thing puzzles me. The speaker, instead of being mounted to the thick front of the case, is sub-mounted on a thin pliable fiberboard baffle which to my mind does nothing for the bass. Was this done for a reason, ie. to prevent valves/components from vibrating ? Just curious.
Mike.
Old 4th Sep 2019, 8:57 am   #2
rontech
Heptode

Default Re: HMV model 1122

At one time I think some loudspeaker designers proposed carefully tuned, thin walled, mounting cases to increase the bass output of small drive units.

There may have been an issue with microphonic valves and HMV did a last minute "fix"

Another possibility is a previous owner "dabbling"

For many years HMV, and other EMI associates used 13" x 8" elliptical loudspeakers which were not bad units for the period..
Old 4th Sep 2019, 9:17 am   #3
sparkymike
Octode

I will have to try a temporary mod and listen to the difference. (if any)
It will also be a chance to clean out the usual fluff from the front of the speaker.
Mike.
Old 4th Sep 2019, 10:38 pm   #4
Tim
Dekatron

Yes big speaker in these sets. Wax capacitors are poor though, and likely to be all leaky.