UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Mar 2007, 10:52 pm   #1
Keith
Heptode

Default AR88LF blows mains fuse

Just as I was listening to an amateur on 80m saying "this old valve gear goes on forever", it all went dead - no dial lights - nothing! Now completely vaporises 1.25A fuses.

DC resistance measured across mains i/p is ~20ohms which I assume is far too low. Doesn't appear to be the on/off switch (replaced with toggle type) or the voltage range switch (wired out of circuit).

Is it worth trying to take the can off the transformer to see if there is a retrievable fault?

One other possible thought occurs to me. The primary seems to be split into two 117V windings presently connected in series. What are the chances of still being able to run on one winding from a 120V autotransformer?

Any advice welcomed,

Keith
Old 23rd Mar 2007, 11:18 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: AR88LF blows mains fuse

I've just measured the resistance between the L and N pins of the mains plug of my AR88D and it measures 8.4 ohms. The fuse is probably 3 amps, but I haven't checked. The set works perfectly.

Remember that it's the inductance of the primary winding rather than its DC resistance which impedes current flow in the primary.

I'd be inclined to check for shorts across the secondary windings. You could pull out all the valves and see if that makes a difference to the fuse blowing. Likely suspects are the 4 uF smoothing capacitors which may have gone short-circuit.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 23rd Mar 2007, 11:28 pm   #3
Station X

The circuit is available here if you don't have it:-

http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/rca/ar88lf/

Don't try using half the winding on 120 Volts. The windings are meant to be connected in parallel when a 120 Volt supply is used.

Old 24th Mar 2007, 9:28 am   #4
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Even if you could use half of the primary, there might be shorted turns in the other half, so it would still blow the fuse.
You may not find anything with resistance checks; a few s/c turns out of a few hundred would kill it with no discernible change in resistance.
Old 24th Mar 2007, 10:23 am   #5
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

There's a good thread on finding shorted turns. You must disconnect all the transformer windings for this method to work.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...+shorted+turns
Old 24th Mar 2007, 10:37 am   #6
Keith
Heptode

Thanks for the advice, chaps. I do appreciate that the dc resistance is not what determines the primary current but it did seem low. Clearly the primaries are wound with relatively heavy gauge wire on this one. I did try removing the rectifier but no change. so its not smoothing cap. Yes, I did wonder about shorted turns. I'll try removing all the valves first and then disconnect the secondaries.
Old 24th Mar 2007, 10:57 am   #7
Station X

Removing the plug from socket J1 provides an easy method of disconnecting the 6.3V heater winding from the valves and the mains supply from the primary. You could then check the resistance across the mains lead to see whether the fault is in the mains switch etc.

Another idea is to use a test lamp in series with the mains to limit the mains current and/or use a variac to bring the mains up slowly whilst measuring the secondary voltages.

Old 24th Mar 2007, 11:18 am   #8
Station X

For those of you following this story here's a rather poor copy of the PSU circuit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PSU.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	8870  

Old 24th Mar 2007, 7:16 pm   #9
dsergeant
Octode

You probably know already, but you need anti-surge fuses (ie 1.25AT) for inputs of mains transformers. The in-rush current will blow a quick blow fuse pretty damned fast. If the primary has fairly thick wire (as indicated by your DC tests) I would think 1.25A is pretty marginal anyway.

But I would still think your problem is shorted turns in the transformer.

Dave
Old 25th Mar 2007, 1:40 am   #10
Station X

If the worst comes to the worst Colomor are selling a new AR88D Mains Transformer via their eBay shop:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=270031885048

If it's mechanically similar to that in the AR88LF it could be used as a replacement.

Old 25th Mar 2007, 7:58 am   #11
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

AFAIK the LF and D versions are the same in that department - I have had both of them in the past. Probably what did my back in
Old 26th Mar 2007, 6:45 pm   #12
Keith
Heptode

Just to let you know, the problem was in the transformer. Having disconnected all secondaries and powered it up slowly, it got very hot with a smell of melting pitch. Didn't leave it on for long but found that although the LT windings were only down to about 75% there were virtually no volts on the HT winding. I wondered if this meant a short on this winding so tried dismantling. Nothing obvious yet, unfortunately, but haven't dug out all the pitch yet . Looks like its new transformer time! Thanks for all your help.
Old 26th Mar 2007, 7:43 pm   #13
Station X

That's bad news Keith. I've never heard of an AR88 mains transformer going faulty before. The output transformers seem to fail regularly though. I suspect that buying a new mains tranformer will be cheaper than having the old one rewound and certainly cheaper than having a new one made.

At the risk of telling you what you already know, remember that mains transformers don't generally go faulty of their own accord. There's generally some external cause. Check the smoothing capacitors for leakage at their rated voltage. A DMM is no good for leakage tests unless the capacitor in question is extremely leaky.

Old 30th Mar 2007, 1:09 pm   #14
RobinBirch
Hexode

Colomor certainly used to have replacement smoothing capacitors. I bought one some years ago when mine started leaking.

If it is the capacitor that has caused the transformer to melt then be very careful if you decide to "repair" it by replacing the insides.

The smoothing cap is a multi element oil filled beast. The oil is nasty and I would only consider this if you had no other option.

Robin
Closed Thread