UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Sep 2019, 5:22 pm   #1
Edwin!101
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ekco U245 Cleaning and testing Tips

Hi everyone!
As the title suggests I have recently got an EKCO U245 which has been sat gathering dust for at least 20 years and so it is incredibly dirty (pictures attached below). I have cleaned the outside of the case and I have removed the chassis and cleaned the inside of the case too however I have not begun cleaning the chassis yet.
Because the radio is so dirty I do not dare to switch it on yet just in case it damages any of the components via a short etc. I was wondering if you guys had any tips or hints on:

a) what would be the best way to clean the chassis and the components to ensure there are no shorts or problems before probing it but also without damaging the components?

b) Once it is looking nice where should I start with testing it? (or should i just turn it on once cleaned and hope for the best?) I have a multi meter and a soldering iron and can get capacitors if they need replacing.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190831_202803.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	189699   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190831_202941.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	189700   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190831_193355.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	189701  
Old 8th Sep 2019, 6:21 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Ekco U245 Cleaning and testing Tips

Have a read of this before starting.
https://www.vintage-radio.com/repair...ion/index.html

A hoover and soft paintbrush will remove most of the dirt.
Don’t switch it on until you have done some basic safety checks and changed some components that are known to fail.
This is a live chassis set, one side of the mains is connected to the chassis, confirm it’s the neutral side or better still use an isolation transformer. You will need to take care when working on any radio, electric shocks can kill.
Sorry if this seems alarmist but I don’t know your skill.
Old 8th Sep 2019, 6:40 pm   #3
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Those wax caps will most likely all be duff.Only change one at a time with careful check of correct value/voltage replacement.Excluding the wax flat mica one,s which are normally fine.

If in doubt just ask!
Old 8th Sep 2019, 8:25 pm   #4
Edwin!101
Retired Dormant Member

Thankyou for the responses I wasn't expecting anyone to get back to me so fast!
I will try and remove all the dust and dirt this week and will post again if there are any problems. I will have a look at replacing the capacitors once I've cleaned it as I'm not sure I'll be able to read the values under all that dust!

I am just wondering if I should be careful about electrostatic discharge(ESD) when using a toothbrush? Is ESD still a big problem with older components such as these?

Thanks again!
Old 8th Sep 2019, 9:51 pm   #5
Simon Gittins
Heptode

ESD is the one thing you don't have to worry about as valves are far too old to be affected!

Careful with dusting though, you really want minimal disturbance before carrying out the initial checks as advised above.
Old 8th Sep 2019, 10:22 pm   #6
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Service manual.
https://www.service-data.com/product...12/2195/m11512
Old 8th Sep 2019, 11:12 pm   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

ESD is only associated with transistor junctions. Valves don't care about ESD and neither do any of the components. All you need to do with this set is replace the paper capacitors as stated above. Leave the mica caps alone....these will (usually) be OK.
Old 9th Sep 2019, 9:52 am   #8
ajgriff
Nonode

As part of your initial testing (long before applying power) check the continuity of the mains dropper resistor using your meter. It's the tall grey and scorched looking component in the bottom right hand corner of the first photograph.

Alan
Old 9th Sep 2019, 10:01 am   #9
paulsherwin

These sets are tough as old boots and quite a good beginner's choice, though make sure you fully understand the live chassis issues before applying power. They're not difficult to work on.

That is certainly a grubby radio! There are various levels of chassis cleaning that you can do, everything from a quick paintbrush and vacuum cleaner job to a complete component level stripdown. It's unlikely to affect operation. I use the vacuum then clean the accessible parts of the chassis with a rag and some WD40, but I'm not bothered about getting it back to ex factory condition. I leave the underside of the chassis alone unless it's unusually filthy.

Don't clean the valves aggressively as all the print will come off. Dirt doesn't affect their operation.

There is a wire clip holding each valve in place. These go stiff with age, and just pulling the valves out can damage the glass locating pip on the side, so you will need to ease off or remove the clip using a screwdriver. The clip isn't really needed.
Closed Thread