UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 26th May 2020, 5:33 pm   #1
dr_adh1
Diode

Default Dual CS505-1 broken cartridge issue

Hello
just found this forum when trying to resolve a problem with my old turntable. Been 'in the back of a cupboard' for a number of years, decided to set it up only to find the cartridge looking as per the photos. I've tried to source a replacement but am being told they're almost impossible to find. Someone said something about trying to glue it together, but I'm unsure what to do with the small pin in the picture, as I can't seem to make it all fit when I hold it back up to the arm to see how it all fits together. This is without knowing if glue-ing is even viable!
I wondered if anyone here might be able to advise?

If I am able to fix this I will obviously also need to replace the stylus.

thanks very much
Adam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3532.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	206850   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3533.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	206851  
Old 26th May 2020, 7:54 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Dual CS505-1 broken cartridge issue

Is it an ORTOFON OM series cartridge with the stylus guard still on?
Also, what makes you think you may need to replace the stylus?
Old 27th May 2020, 12:53 pm   #3
snowman_al
Octode

Its a Dual TKS-45 (or TKS-49 / TKS-50) special made by Ortofon for Dual. Gluing would be an option. The pin fits the front hole like the picture. Obviously do not get a replacement stylus until you know how to fix it...

Might be easier to find a Dual adaptor or make a plate and fit an 1/2 inch cartridge. Lots of ideas on the web if you search Dual 505-1 cartridge replacement.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dual-tks45e-cartridge_1-001.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	206910  
Old 31st May 2020, 8:59 am   #4
dr_adh1
Diode

Hi gents

thanks so much for taking the time to help, snowman_al that picture was most helpful.
I glued it and it worked, however the turntable rotated at reduced speed and a smell of burning came up quickly, so I turned it off immediately and disconnected it.
In trying to resolve this, I read somewhere about issues with capacitors on these and that there is a kit to replace them, is that perhaps what might have happened here do you think? I am no expert at tinkering with electrics, but would like to try and get my turntable working if at all possible.
thanks again
Adam
Old 31st May 2020, 12:25 pm   #5
snowman_al
Octode

Yes most likely that one (at least) is smoking... It is a problem with them https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=150477. Open yours up and have a look for splits or signs of burning.

If you have a soldering iron, solder and an hour or so, it should be simple enough with the parts.
Old 31st May 2020, 1:01 pm   #6
Michael Maurice

Adam, I know these turntables well, the burning is due to capacitors and the fact that the motor and turntable bearings need cleaning out and relubricating. The capacitors must be X type for mains operation. The belts will almost certainly need replacing. There are other parts that will require relubricating. If you need further help please let me know.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 31st May 2020, 6:32 pm   #7
dr_adh1
Diode

I've had a look inside and this is the view. The smell is apparent from here so one of these items is clearly not happy, though my untrained eye can't see which. I've seen you can get a replacement kit on ebay, but haven't soldered anything since I was a kid!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3590.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	207318  
Old 31st May 2020, 9:52 pm   #8
Electronpusher0
Nonode

The 3 capacitors should be changed, any one of these could be causing the burning. They should all be changed, those that have not failed yet will do so in time.
As Michael says they must be X type for mains operation.
The capacitors are the 3 silvery yellow rectangular objects.
They will need to be changed by resoldering, I am not sure how you are with soldering but if you are not happy I am sure Michael can help.

I have restored, I think, 5 Dual 505 decks and one or more of the capacitors had gone in every one.

Peter
Old 31st May 2020, 10:08 pm   #9
Herald1360
Dekatron

They're the classic Rifa "stinkbombs"

Connected directly across the mains they usually go with a bang and an unforgettable pong! The case material degrades and lets moisture in over time (usually>10 years or so). The usual casualties are just your nerves (if present) and the mains fuse. Used here as phase shifters or current limiters, the drama reduces to overheating and a lesser pong. Hot smell may also come from dust burning off the wirewound resistor if the equipment has been unused for a while.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 1st Jun 2020, 12:25 pm   #10
Beobloke
Heptode

As I've mentioned in another thread recently, whilst the capacitors should definitely be replaced, the smell and smoke comes from the dropper resistor, which is somewhat under-rated in power terms and gradually burns off its ceramic coating with age.

The kit of parts you can buy on eBay contains all the right components and is definitely worth purchasing and fitting. If you search for "Dual CS-505 motor PCB repair kit" on the site, it should pop straight up and is £9.99
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 6:53 pm   #11
dr_adh1
Diode

thanks for all your advice on this, I really appreciate that. I can see the kit I need, I now need to decide if it's viable to either try soldering, or see if I can convince a friend to do so and then work out how to do it safely.
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 8:25 pm   #12
AC/HL
Dekatron

That looks to be safely postable. Try here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...play.php?f=145
Old 4th Jun 2020, 7:31 am   #13
Electronpusher0
Nonode

You do not need to send the whole deck anywhere, the pcb unclips, the wires are simply push on connectors and can be eased off by gentle levering. Dont forget to note which wire goes where first!
If you get desperate send me a PM, I have spare replacement caps and its a 5 min job to change.

Peter
Closed Thread