UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jan 2007, 8:19 pm   #1
PauldeH
Retired Dormant Member

Default AT6 stacking spindle

Hello:

My Decca Deccalian is nearly done now; having robbed a scrap one of speakers and knobs and grilles, and found a decent stylus, both the player and the stereo amp are working as they should and I'm surprised and delighted at just how good it sounds.

There's still one tiny niggle, the long stacking spindle works fine (I use it a lot for playing 45s) but tends to lift out when you lift up the records after playing. Is this a 'feature' or should it clip in more securely? If it should be more secure, what's likely to be the problem?

Paul.

Last edited by PauldeH; 13th Jan 2007 at 8:20 pm. Reason: typo
Old 14th Jan 2007, 12:35 pm   #2
Tom_I
Heptode

Default Re: AT6 stacking spindle

Hi Paul

The spindle should click into position so that it doesn't pull out easily. It is retained by the same circlip that stops the turntable falling off if the deck is inverted.

The stacking spindle has a flat on its lower section, which orientates it correctly in the central bush. The flat section has a groove at the top which engages with the flat portion of the circlip, which protrudes through into the centre hole of the bush.

To work properly it requires the correct (asymmetric) circlip, fitted in the correct position. If this doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try to take a photo.

The above is based on the arrangement used in the Autoslim deck. This is mechanically generally the same as the AT6, though I see from the Service Manual that the stacking spindles have different part numbers. The circlips are the same, though, so I would expect the fixing arrangement to be the same too. No doubt somebody will let me know if I am wrong.

Tom
Old 14th Jan 2007, 5:40 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_I View Post
The spindle ... is retained by the same circlip that stops the turntable falling off if the deck is inverted.
Isn't that what was missing in the first place?
Old 15th Jan 2007, 1:17 pm   #4
PauldeH
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
To work properly it requires the correct (asymmetric) circlip, fitted in the correct position
Thanks for that Tom.

The circlip is a bit loose, so seems likely it's the wrong one or broken. I'm away till the weekend so will have a closer look then.

Paul
Closed Thread