UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 16th Mar 2019, 1:55 pm   #441

Default Re: Audiophoolery?

An Arcam amplifier of the late 80's had two rings of copper about an inch across on the PCB to "make it sound better" this was suggested by Peter Belt... https://www.stereophile.com/content/...belt-1930-2017 Arcam hired him at some cost for this, 'spose it was good for advertising.
Old 16th Mar 2019, 2:10 pm   #442
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: connectors made from exotic materials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronpusher0 View Post
...and was not supported by any known law of science.
A recommendation in itself!
AC/HL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2019, 5:48 pm   #443
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: connectors made from exotic materials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
I like the bit about the mains cable being the first part of any system and that it's important that it does not introduce distortion...

Maybe 3-phase, full-wave rectification is the way to go? PFC is too complicated and involves feedback loops (Boo! Hiss!) so it must sound bad.
Agree, but the mains cables can only supply power as good as is fed into them. Maybe there's room for an Audiophile Energy Supplier, one whose electricity comes only from nuclear reactors fuelled by magnetically treated, oxygen-free, enriched uranium? Or pulverised, re-crystallised, cryo-treated coal? The thought of random pressure fluctuations in the boilers affecting the supply's source impedance scares the hell out of me!

Quote:
I work in the radio frequency side of the aerospace industry... Maybe if we switched to audiophile stuff, all the passengers would feel a lot more arrived, and would be driven to re-visit all their previous destinations using the new, improved plane?
I'm suddenly wondering if that will be shown to be the cause of the B737 crashes, not using grain-oriented, oxygen-free, cryogenically treated, lead-overwound cables and connectors for the digital fly-by-wire signals?
kalee20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2019, 6:39 pm   #444
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: Connectors made from exotic materials.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
But you have to be a bit careful about saying that rf ingress has no impact on audio.

One particularly audible example is the zzt-zzt... sound from your speakers when your mobile phone does a station seek.

Now sure the RF level in those circumstances is pretty high, but nevertheless that is 800MHz or thereabout being picked up in cables and then demodulated by semiconductor junctions in the audio amp.
Craig
The effects of RF ingress are highly non-linear. With a watt or two from a nearby cellphone there is enough RF to turn on semiconductor junctions and to demodulate the amplitude of the pulsed cellphone transmission. The sound of GSM is familiar to most people.

However, lower levels produce disproportionately lower levels of effect once they fail to drive semiconductors into nonlinearity.

Meaning you get either a fairly obvious sound or essentially nothing.

The right fix is to have equipment with filtered ports which only allow what should be going in (remembering RF can enter via output connections.

There's my hifi in the lounge and a 200 Watt shortwave transmitter in the next room, and other transmitters up to 1296MHz, all at a lot more power than a phone. No discernible effects. No fancy cables. Just sensible design.

David
Well again yes and no. A note from Analog Devices regarding errors arising from RF pickup here

https://www.analog.com/en/analog-dia...d-errors.html#

There are papers on line from much earlier than that (2008) pointing out the same phenomenon in instrumentation systems. In other words a sensor, a cable and an amplifier.

Anyway, although those truly skilled in the art can certainly design a suitably wideband input filter, I'll bet a quid that the vast majority of commercial domestic audio amplifiers are not at all well filtered.

Craig
Craig Sawyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2019, 7:20 pm   #445

Totally OT for this thread (love that it is now a sticky, what fun). Always fibre optic for digital audio, cheap and no chance of a hum loop. And I like the red light.
Old 16th Mar 2019, 8:21 pm   #446
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Totally OT for this thread (love that it is now a sticky, what fun). Always fibre optic for digital audio, cheap and no chance of a hum loop. And I like the red light.
There is always two sides to the coin. Fibre optic is fine and dandy provided it is of high enough quality at Tx and Rx ends. And I don't mean snake oil optical cables. I just mean the highest speed devices, and not necessarily TOSLINK.

Coax actually can work much better if done right. By that I mean galvanically isolated at send and receive, with true resistive 75 ohms at each end (and there is a much longer story about that relating to pulse transformers actually not being best at 75 ohms), and a halfway decent 75 ohm cable.
Old 16th Mar 2019, 8:45 pm   #447
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
love that it is now a sticky, what fun
How long it stays that way rather depends on what's posted. It's intended as a depository for the way OTT items as in post 1.
AC/HL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2019, 9:04 pm   #448
yesnaby
Octode

How many of the darn things do they actually sell?
yesnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2019, 9:18 pm   #449
MrBungle
Dekatron

Have some more rubbish....

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm

Check the rest of the products as well.
MrBungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2019, 11:24 pm   #450
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

That is ridiculous in the extreme. Like beeswax filled fuses https://highend-electronics.com/prod...wax-super-fuse ($175 per fuse or $225 for the super version), Bybee Quantum Purifiers https://bybeetech.com/products/#puri...%93diy-and-oem

And in fact any audio product that includes the word Quantum. And there are quite a few. Quantum fuses https://highend-electronics.com/prod...-quantum-fuses

Or the Quantum Line Strip, which features Quantum Tunneling Treatment (what tosh) https://highend-electronics.com/prod...tum-line-strip

The audio world is full of this sort of nonsense, all with a massive price tag.
Old 17th Mar 2019, 2:51 am   #451
Radio Wrangler

Any sufficiently radical audio technology is indistinguishable from a wind-up

'E's a witch! And you know what we do to witches.......

(With apologies to Arthur C Clarke and Monty Python)

Without help from the Spanish Inquisition or a crowd of scientists with burning torches and pitchforks, we haven't got a hope in hell.

David
Old 17th Mar 2019, 6:45 am   #452
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Quote:
Any sufficiently radical audio technology is indistinguishable from a wind-up

And the sound is indistinguishable from a wind-up gramophone (sorry, could not resist).

I don't think I'd want wax-filled fuses. Sound like a major fire risk if they blow. I want my fuse wire surrounded by something that won't burn, like sand.
TonyDuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2019, 8:18 am   #453
Radio Wrangler

A fuse is just an ordinary piece of tinned copper wire. Why should it benefit from beeswax and not every other conductor?

Making and selling non-BS1363-compliant plug fuses could be taking on a lot of liability.

The thing is it's so easy to fake these advances. The first of April is close, so how about a suggestion that amplifiers, speakers, turntables etc made in imperial dimensions sound better than those made in metric dimensions? It would have to be padded out with florid prose and tales of exalted listening tests then an attempt to flog imperial-sized CDs at exorbitant prices with the promise that an imperial CD player would follow. It was no coincidence that we played 12" records on 12" platters with 9" arms and cartridges on 1/2" hole centres through 12", 4" and 1" speakers.

David
Old 17th Mar 2019, 8:50 am   #454
Electronpusher0
Nonode

I recall hearing about a HiFi enthusiast who went to such lengths to reduce the effects of the cable to his speakers that he had channels dug out out his concrete floor and filled them with mercury.
Now there' a new marketing idea, it has the advantages of being both expensive and toxic.

Peter
Electronpusher0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2019, 9:52 am   #455
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
The first of April is close, so how about a suggestion that amplifiers, speakers, turntables etc made in imperial dimensions sound better than those made in metric dimensions? It would have to be padded out with florid prose and tales of exalted listening tests then an attempt to flog imperial-sized CDs at exorbitant prices with the promise that an imperial CD player would follow. It was no coincidence that we played 12" records on 12" platters with 9" arms and cartridges on 1/2" hole centres through 12", 4" and 1" speakers.
..... All the while our Continental cousins were quite happily listening to 30cm. records on 30cm. platters, with 23cm. tonearms and cartridges on 12.7mm. centres, through 25cm., 10cm. and 5cm. speakers with 1.4T magnets! Europeans are stereotypically sophisticated; Americans are stereotypically brash and vulgar. Would you rather your hi-fi sounded like Mr Hamilton from the Waldorf Salad episode of Fawlty Towers, or Mme Peignoir from The Wedding Party? Birdsong on the lush banks of the tinkling Danube, or paddle steamers clanking and tooting their way up the Mississippi?

Also, if you are going to measure your tracking force in grams (probably centiNewtons in Germany .....), it would be bad ju-ju to go mixing your units. Some early Eastern European ICs were made on a 2.5mm. pin pitch, not realising that the extra 0.04mm. was no error. Would their rarity compensate for the rough-and-ready, make-do-and-mend attitude stereotypically associated with Eastern Europeans, though?
Old 17th Mar 2019, 10:19 am   #456
Sideband
Dekatron

Not sure if this has been seen before but I thought 'wooden capacitors' made for amusing reading https://www.dhtrob.com/projecten/elna1_en.php

Improve the sound of your hi fi by giving electrolytics a wooden case......
Old 17th Mar 2019, 10:27 am   #457
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
A fuse is just an ordinary piece of tinned copper wire. Why should it benefit from beeswax and not every other conductor?
Good thinking! Just imagine how a system might sound if the 'speaker cables were routed through copper tubing filled with... well, ideally beeswax, but even liquid paraffin would surely be transformative. Give it a month to settle before use, then listen to the difference it's made, and you'll be itching to seal the base of your amplifier and fill it up with wax through those handy perforations at the top or my name's not Jack Robinson. It'll need an hour or two to burn in of course.
Paul_RK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2019, 10:41 am   #458
MrBungle
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
Not sure if this has been seen before but I thought 'wooden capacitors' made for amusing reading https://www.dhtrob.com/projecten/elna1_en.php

He’s very skilled with the teaspoon and tea light. Looks like he’s has lots of experience there
MrBungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2019, 10:55 am   #459
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post

The thing with wood is, every piece is different. It's a natural product and its density, moisture content, absorbancy etc etc can vary even for pieces cut from the same chunk. Now given the extent to which the audiophool is attempting to 'gild the lilly', leaving no stone unturned in his quest for perfect sound, this rather shoots him in the foot when it comes to the use of wood in many places in hifi equipment. Particularly so where wood is used for cartridge housings costing thousands of pounds. It's just not a repeatable material compared to man made ones that can be produced to be exactly the same over many years of production, thus maintaining specification.
Old 17th Mar 2019, 10:58 am   #460
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
... The thing is it's so easy to fake these advances. The first of April is close, so how about a suggestion that amplifiers, speakers, turntables etc made in imperial dimensions sound better than those made in metric dimensions? It would have to be padded out with florid prose and tales of exalted listening tests then an attempt to flog imperial-sized CDs at exorbitant prices with the promise that an imperial CD player would follow. It was no coincidence that we played 12" records on 12" platters with 9" arms and cartridges on 1/2" hole centres through 12", 4" and 1" speakers ...
Someone would come back at you agreeing absolutely that there's a night-and-day difference in the sound but pointing out that the measurement system can't be the explanation for it. What you've 'obviously' missed, and what can 'easily' explain it, is the real difference between the metric and imperial thread forms in all of the systems' screws. Schoolboy error .

Cheers,

GJ