UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Mar 2009, 2:54 pm   #1
mentalo)))
Retired Dormant Member

Default How do I lubricate a Sony TC-270?

Hello
Can anyone give me some direction on lubricating a Sony TC-270?...I have two of these machines and they have both seized up...belts are okay.
I don't really know where to begin!
Thanks
J
Old 29th Mar 2009, 10:36 am   #2
paolo
Heptode

Default Re: How do I lubricate a Sony TC-270?

No replies to this one yet! Lubrication is fairly straightforward on these decks. There are lubrication points on the motor and the idler wheels etc all need a very light dab of some light machine oil. Not too much, and make sure that you don't get any on the rubber belts and wheels.

When you say you have 2 of these machines that have both seized up though, this could be due to lubrication. Or, it could be due to saggy belts - even if they look ok, they may be slipping -, a bad motor run cap or any other number of things. Can you be more specific about the problem? Does the motor turn when you engage play? Do any of the wheels or capstan move?

Also, have a look at http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2...Doityour2.html Some good basic info that applies to a lot of tape decks, but particularly the Sony series.

Paul
Old 29th Mar 2009, 3:33 pm   #3
mentalo)))
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Paul, really appreciate you getting back.
Without tape both machines seem to run ok, although machine no.1 needs a light push on the capstan motor to get it going. With tape, both machines play for a while but then grind to a halt along with motor and wheels. Machine no.1 has a new belt but seems to be acting the same. Without a service manual I am a little unsure of where the lubrication point for the motor actually is.
many thanks
James
Old 30th Mar 2009, 11:19 am   #4
paolo
Heptode

"A light push on the capstan motor" indicates a bad motor run capacitor to me. My Sony TC-377 was hesitant to start but was fine once the fan on the motor was turned to give it a bit of a kick. Its probably a combination of the motor run cap, glazed idler wheels and slack belts. Check out the link to the thread I ran on this machine, it may be of assistance.

You can order a new motor run cap from Bob at http://www.vintage-electronics.cc/vparts.html For 240v operation, my Sony's needed a 2uF cap. Check the markings on yours to double check.

You will also need to deglaze the main rubber idler with some very fine wet and dry. Just a quick rub to make sure that the idler is providing sufficient grip and drive. Don't go beserk, and don't use really rough paper. Slow and gentle.

As for motor lubrication, assuming its basically very similar to the 377, there are two lubrication points - the first is on the back, a small hole that doesn't scream "OIL" and the second is located under the main pulley shaft.

Of course, one other thing to consider is the type of tapes you are using. They aren't exhibiting sticky shed syndrome are they? This can cause machines to grind to a halt due to a build up of tape binder and oxide gradually gumming up the tape path. Do a search for this term on the forum, there was a recent thread about it.

Let us know how you get on.

Paul
Old 30th Mar 2009, 12:59 pm   #5
ben
Dekatron

remove the belt from the capstan, does it spin/turn freely that way?
Old 31st Mar 2009, 5:57 pm   #6
mentalo)))
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks again Paul...I'll try all those things.The tape is okay i think...plays fine on my TC-377...I'm beginning to wonder if it might be the belts.

Ben...I removed the belt and the capstan motor spins fine...no problems...does this suggest the belt is at fault?

Any recommendations as to where to get new drive belts for the TC-270 in the UK? The guy I got the last one from on ebay seemed to be guessing, rather than being sure about which belt i required.
Thanks
James
Old 1st Apr 2009, 11:55 am   #7
paolo
Heptode

One final test for the motor run cap:

No tape on the deck:
Lift the automatic shut off linkage with your finger and set the play lever to REW.

When the left reel starts spinning, try to stop it with your fingers. If it comes down to a total halt and then needs a push to start spinning again, the run-cap is the cause.
Old 1st Apr 2009, 1:19 pm   #8
mentalo)))
Retired Dormant Member

Hey Paul
Both machines passed the test...the left reel starts up again without assistance
...what do you reckon?
Old 1st Apr 2009, 2:09 pm   #9
paolo
Heptode

I'd try a new belt and a drop of lubrication. Also deglaze the idler wheel. If these fixes don't work, replace the cap.

You can get belts for your machine from the vintage electronics link I posted earlier.

Paul
Closed Thread