UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Oct 2021, 4:12 pm   #1
Andrew Humphriss
Pentode

Default Ivalek crystal set

Does anyone have a instruction paper issued by John O Beirne of Bristol who offered it for 2/9 in July 1950 issue of PW?
I picked one up with a black knob in good condition on E-Bay
Andy 2E0NDZ
Old 3rd Nov 2021, 12:01 pm   #2
Andrew Humphriss
Pentode

Default Re: Ivalek crystal set

I have purchased some magazines of 1925 and in the March 1925 issue is an article on A Novel Match-box crystal set....it talks of using a Bryant and May matchbox to house it!
Andy 2E0NDZ
Old 4th Nov 2021, 4:59 am   #3
majoconz
Heptode

I had one of those for Christmas when I was about 8 years old - we were living out in Braintree, Essex. Dad strung a wire from my bedroom on the second floor right down the back garden to a pole on the side of the shed - about 25 yards or so. Rather disappointing - the Home service and the Third programme but not a lot else - Dad's friend Fred Turner modified the radio to receive the 49metre band which was jumping at the time with all the cold war propaganda - Radio Moscow competing with Radio Free Europe - many a time I woke up in the middle of the night with headphones still on my ears making allsorts of noises. For my 11th birthday we cruised down Totty Court Road and Lisle Street and came away with a Marconi R1475 - those were the days!
Old 4th Nov 2021, 9:47 am   #4
Andrew Humphriss
Pentode

Hello Martin
Thank you for the feed back, its just for my small collection its not worth getting on the air!
Its interesting that in 1925 the same thing was discussed Hi?
73s
Andy 2E0NDZ
Old 4th Nov 2021, 6:12 pm   #5

Quote:
its just for my small collection its not worth getting on the air!
You have to do it at least once, a fun afternoon and visitors will be amazed that it still works. I did that with a 1920's crystal set "down the pub" ages ago (brought wire for the aerial and croc clip for the pubs radiators for earth). I remember getting a Dutch station and a que to listen on the SG Brown headphones. I can't think of a better way to enjoy radio, pub, and educating people.

Closed Thread