UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Aug 2020, 7:57 pm   #1
bremhillbob
Diode

Default Genalex Clock - Smiths Synchronous motor?

Hi all, I have a Genalex clock and I think the motor is a smiths synchronous type. Good news is that it runs and starts (more often than not) when I press the adjusting knob.

It doesn't have a second hand so it isn't obvious that it's running. Is there anything I can do to overcome this?

I'm guessing that if we have a powercut and then the electricity comes back on without the motor being started then this won't hurt anything.
It's going in a public building (our little village hall - an old Victorian school room) so I wonder if I should do anything to make it safe? It's been suggested that I rewind the main coil to run off low voltage - is this a tricky job?

I'm very new to all of this ..... !

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor Case SM.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	214105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor sm.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	214106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clock number sm.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	214107  
Old 22nd Aug 2020, 8:33 pm   #2
bremhillbob
Diode

Default Re: Genalex Clock - Smiths Synchronous motor?

From the motor number I wonder if this could be a Smiths BM38?
Old 22nd Aug 2020, 8:51 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Hi Bob and we!come!

That's the Smiths De Luxe movement, commonly found in Genalex clocks.

Some of these have a "tell tale" rotating disc whose edge is visible through a small hole in the dial. Without one, you can put your ear to the case and listen. A buzz indicates it's not running, a whirring is what you're after.

As for safety, just fit a 1A fuse, make sure it's supplied via an RCD, and consider earthing it. I can supply instructions if you want.

Nick
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 8:19 am   #4
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Hi Bob,
To add to Nick's comments,
Quote:
Originally Posted by bremhillbob View Post

I'm guessing that if we have a power cut and then the electricity comes back on without the motor being started then this won't hurt anything.
That's correct.
Quote:
It's going in a public building (our little village hall - an old Victorian school room) so I wonder if I should do anything to make it safe? It's been suggested that I rewind the main coil to run off low voltage - is this a tricky job?
Some will disagree regarding this, but it's a pointless exercise!
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 8:35 am   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Perhaps we should add tbat tbese are unlikely to pass PAT tests because of the design of the 2-pin connector.

I would mount it nice and high so that inquisitive fingers can't get anywhere near it.
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 9:26 am   #6
Test Desk
Tetrode

There are probably all sorts regulations regarding the installation of electrical devices in public buildings due to health and safety legislation. I don't think you should do it.
My sister lives in a sheltered accommodation and a recent H&S audit resulted in the loss of a battery wall clock in the common room because someone could fall changing the battery! There is an able-bodied warden living on the scheme.
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 12:45 pm   #7
bremhillbob
Diode

Hi guys, thank you for all your comments - I've clearly found the 'right' place. I think I will earth it - can I get 3 core 'simulate 'old style' flex? I'm thinking that I could find a suitable box to fit behind the clock and take my 'mains' into that and onto the the motor safely I'd leave the original plug on the clock but disconnected.

That story from Test Desk .... wow. I guess I can see the point but gotta make you wonder. Sounds like somebody had to put something in a report!

Not sure if the video link worked for people but the 'restarting' seems quite hit and miss - I think that there is a small alignment issue meaning that the toothed lever attached to the 'starter' doesn't fully engage with the mechanism ... maybe a little tweeking is in order.

Always keen to hear a bit more about 'history'. I thought I'd make up a little card to pop inside the clock so that the next person has some info ....
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 4:07 pm   #8
Hartley118
Nonode

Restarting a Smiths Sectric clock has always had a 'hit & miss' element to it. It's part of the charm!

Martin
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 11:42 pm   #9
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley118 View Post
Restarting a Smiths Sectric clock has always had a 'hit & miss' element to it. It's part of the charm!

Martin
My grandmother had a lounge wall mirror fastened to the wall with a built-in clock. It was a self-starter, but it was 50/50 which direction it starred. there was no connector or switch. After a power interruption if it was running backwards you had to pull the fuse in the fuse-box and wait a minute or so to see that the minute hand had advanced in the right direction. Happy days.
Closed Thread