UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Aug 2015, 5:56 pm   #1
allanwinks
Triode

Default Where to buy capacitors in the UK

I am just getting into the restoration of valve equipment and was disappointed at the range of capacitors available on both the RS and Rapid web sites.
So where do you guys get caps of 4-500 volts from?
I would prefer to buy from one supplier to reduce postage costs, perhaps there is a business opportunity here for someone?
Old 19th Aug 2015, 6:40 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Where to buy capacitors in the UK

My prefered supplier is cpc.co.uk - get them in the right mood and there can be free postage on even very low-value orders.
Old 19th Aug 2015, 6:55 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I prefer Farnell: they do a good selection of Vishay-Roederstein MKT1817 axial polyester caps.

You can also get them from the BVWS if you're a member.
Old 19th Aug 2015, 7:37 pm   #4
robin coleman
Hexode

If you are a BVWS member, the BVWS shop has a good selection.
Regards
Robin
Old 19th Aug 2015, 7:50 pm   #5
bikerhifinut
Octode

You will do a lot worse than using the BVWS stuff, They have most of the values you will ever need for a restoration on old valve radios and a lot of Audio kit.
All proper stuff too.
Join the BVWS and get a discount.

It's worth remembering that the 630V DC rating of the BVWS plastic caps means they are perfectly fine to use at any Voltage below that rating so you don't need to buy a range of working Voltages.
Similarly, the 500V rating of the electrolytics means they are perfectly good to use at any normal Valve HT below this level. Obviously for solid state stuff and gear working at voltages below 100V it's cheaper to get 100V or lower caps which are readily available.

I hope the more experienced guys will either agree or point where I got it wrong.

Andy.
Old 19th Aug 2015, 8:19 pm   #6
paulsherwin

See this thread: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=55701
Old 19th Aug 2015, 8:25 pm   #7
Okto1984
Retired Dormant Member

For film caps (including high voltage ones), I've been buying various NOS ones on eBay. A couple of good sellers I've bought from multiple times are based in Poland (hfo_poland and kriss_elektronik), but the items arrive soon enough in the post. eBay in general can turn up specific caps I'm looking for and haven't found elsewhere - but at the cost of paying postage for one or two items in some cases. Still, at least I can obtain the exact item I want.
Old 19th Aug 2015, 9:03 pm   #8
ex seismic
Heptode

You might have a look at justradios.com. They do kits for valve radios and despite being in Canada were cost effective when I needed to build up a stock a year or so ago.

Gordon
Old 19th Aug 2015, 9:15 pm   #9
allanwinks
Triode

Smile Re: Where to buy capacitors in the UK

Thanks to everybody who responded so very quickly.
I will follow up all the suggestions.
Closed Thread