UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Aug 2015, 11:15 pm   #1
FrankB
Heptode

Default Side Contact Valves

I acquired a couple of side contact valves, and was wondering, are there always the same number of side contact "pins" on a side contact tube base? Or are there different size side contact bases?

I don't have any literature to refer to, and a search on the net yielded little.
I hope you folks can shed some light on this for me, as we see very few of them here in the States.

Thanks In Advance.
Old 24th Aug 2015, 11:54 pm   #2
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Default Re: Side Contact Valves

I only know of one type in this country, if they are Mullard valves they will end with a single number e.g. ECH3, the single figure indicating that its a side contact base. They were not in use for very long, I believe they came out in the late '30s.

Peter
Old 25th Aug 2015, 12:37 am   #3
Alf
Hexode

There were two types as far as I can remember, the CT5 base and the CT8 base, the CT8 being the most common. The CT5 and the CT8 scroll down to see base.
Old 25th Aug 2015, 9:03 am   #4
Jeremy M0RVB
Hexode

Apparently there is a CT4 too, there is a drawing in one of Keith Throwers books. Was CT8 also known as SC8, and also the P-base?
Old 25th Aug 2015, 11:21 am   #5
emeritus
Dekatron

The Osram 1938-39 catalogue only lists one side contact valve, Type A537, a "Triode for microphones" valve for use with condenser microphones. It has a miniature 4 contact base whose type is not stated, but its dimensions can be deduced from the drawings. PDF of the data sheet attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Osram A537 _1938.pdf (132.9 KB, 111 views)
Old 25th Aug 2015, 11:45 am   #6
emeritus
Dekatron

The Bulgin 1936-7 catalogue only lists side contact bases (valve holders) having 5 and 8 contacts (for valves) and 10 contacts (for CRTs). The catalogue says that these bases are for the "new side-contact valves", suggesting that the valves were probably introduced around 1935-6. PDF attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Valve bases Bulgin 1936_7.pdf (259.9 KB, 112 views)
Old 25th Aug 2015, 1:17 pm   #7
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I obviously didn't learn much during my 50 years in the trade.
Old 25th Aug 2015, 1:55 pm   #8
ms660
Dekatron

B12D, used for VCR97 CRT etc:

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaj0166.htm

Lawrence.
Old 25th Aug 2015, 3:01 pm   #9
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

The most common ones can be seen at:
http://www.r-type.org/inx/inx00043.htm

The Side Contact was a Philips idea, with the intention that inserting them wiped any oxidisation off the contacts.
Old 25th Aug 2015, 9:42 pm   #10
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.N. View Post
I obviously didn't learn much during my 50 years in the trade.
Valves sporting those sockets were in extensive use on the continent in the late 1930's and even immediately after the war, but not so much in the UK.
Old 26th Aug 2015, 11:50 am   #11
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

As far as I can tell, the AVO CT160 valve tester had a Philips "P" type, or 8SC holder as the only one using side-contacts. This had eight contacts. It looks to me as though other AVO valve testers were similar, though I could stand corrected. Doesn't this suggest that whatever side-contact valves were available in the UK, they would all fit one type of holder, with perhaps some unneeded contacts missing?
Furthermore, while I can see that inserting a side-contact valve into its holder involves a "wiping" action that could remove any dirt/oxidation on the contacts, don't all of the other insertion methods involve a "wiping" action, with perhaps the exception of wire-ended types?
Colin.
Old 26th Aug 2015, 12:20 pm   #12
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I've seen 4-pin side-contact bases used on rectifiers: Mullard/Philips seemed to have a thing about directly-heated fullwave rectifiers with 4-volt heaters.

I always thought that one of the big selling-points about side-contact valves was that since the entire valve-base fitted down into the socket they took up less overall height (perhaps an inch) making 'slimline'-style radios easier to design than if traditional pin-base valves [Octals, or the US/British 1930s equivalents) were used.
And being a non-standard [Mullard/Philips specific] thing, they also provided a commercial 'lock-in' for future supply of replacement valves.

The appearance in the late-1930s of Loktal/Bantal, and squat 'GT' valves clearly undermined the reduced-height-benefit argument. Mazda tried the 'vendor lock-in' thing around the same time with their pervertion of the standard Octal base (and again in the immediate post-WWII era with their 8-pin all-glass range which sat uncomfortably between industry-standard B7G and B9A offerings).
Closed Thread