UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 15th May 2007, 4:37 pm   #1
stuart_morgan_64
Heptode

Default 6E5C for a 6U5G Magic Eye

I have a Kolster Brandes ER30, I was hoping this valve will work, any advise please. Also can someone describe connecting a magic eye to test, i have various power supplies for HT and LT.

Thanks Stuart
Old 15th May 2007, 7:22 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: 6E5C for a 6U5G Magic Eye

I have the details for 6U5G but not 6E5G. All I can tell you is that they are not direct equivalents.

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 15th May 2007, 8:26 pm   #3
PJL
Dekatron

I looked into this and the 6G5 and 6U5 are remote cutoff but the 6E5 isn't. I guess it would do something but would quickly reach the fully deflected state. Spec is here http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f.../049/6/6U5.pdf
Old 15th May 2007, 8:42 pm   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

Looks like the 6U5 is more likely to be satisfactory as a replacement for the 6E5 than vice versa. I couldn't access PJL's link- hope this works:

http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/084/6/6E5.pdf

If you poke round amongst the various data sheets on this site, you should find enough info to concoct a test circuit.

Thinks.... wonder if you could modify the 6E5 cutoff characteristics suitably with some sort of resistor diode clipper circuit in its grid feed? Not very original looking, though.

Chris
Old 17th May 2007, 11:26 pm   #5
Alf Fisher
Hexode

Looks to me like the 6E5 only requires 7.5 volts change on the grid to give the full range on the eye whereas most of the others like 6U5 & 6G5 and Y61 to Y64 require 22 volts. Some time ago, I made up a little test box with an octal socket and a UX6 socket using a small 6-0-6 transformer. It uses 6 volts for the heater and the 12v across the whole winding feeds a voltage multiplier to get about -30 volts for the grid bias supply. I'll dig out the info if anyone is interested.

Alf
Old 18th May 2007, 1:33 pm   #6
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf Fisher View Post
Looks to me like the 6E5 only requires 7.5 volts change on the grid to give the full range on the eye whereas most of the others like 6U5 & 6G5 and Y61 to Y64 require 22 volts.
These things are largely cosmetic anyway of course, and most people like the eye to close when they have a signal tuned in, so the greater sensitivity may be acceptable. You could always make a potential divider with a couple of resistors to reduce the voltage reaching the valve.

Paul
Closed Thread