UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 15th May 2007, 12:12 pm   #1
PJL
Dekatron

Default ECL82 triode grid emissions?

I have a problem with an ECL82. On my tester it is showing no leakage but is passing some current to the anode. Am I right in thinking this a grid emissions problem as opposed to gas which would conduct to the cathode?
Old 15th May 2007, 3:52 pm   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: ECL82 triode grid emissions?

PJL
If it is, and I am assuming it is used as an output bottle, with no signal present (disconnect coupling cap) the anode voltage should not change if you short the grid to chassis.
It sounds as if you may have already done that; is it possible there is a leak elsewhere - valve base?
Old 15th May 2007, 8:09 pm   #3
PJL
Dekatron

Hi Mike, in the set the valve causes motor-boating not helped by the very high 10M grid resistor used for biasing. It was more a case of trying to understand why the spot on my Mullard tester went up rather than down when testing for grid current.

I guess I need to dig out 'The Book' but I assume gas causes the grid to conduct to the cathode but grid emissions would result in current flow to the anode. It passes leakage tests.
Old 16th May 2007, 10:43 am   #4
PJL
Dekatron

I read Langford-Smith. Grid emissions and gas increase the negative grid current. The CG voltage is zero in the mullard tester so some positive grid current would be expected so it looks like the motor-boating is probably not the valve although strangely a replacement fixed the problem...end of thread
Closed Thread