UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Apr 2007, 4:59 pm   #1
daviddeakin
Hexode

Default Light bulb(s) as dropper resistor

I recently picked up a DAC 90A and thought about this dropping problem.
I did some experiments and it seems an ordinary 35W mains bulb, wired in series with the heater chain, will drop the voltage by just the right amount. (Two 15W bulbs in parallel will also do). I was thinking a pigmy bulb would fit under the glass dial quite neatly, and do two jobs at once.
Old 24th Apr 2007, 6:53 pm   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: DAC90A Light bulb(s) as dropper resistor.

I repaired a radio several years ago which had the heater chain in two halves, each fed with a separate bulb, 25W each I think. I can't remember what set it was now, though.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 24th Apr 2007, 7:04 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddeakin View Post
I was thinking a pigmy bulb would fit under the glass dial quite neatly, and do two jobs at once.
Nice idea! But I wonder whether the heat there would be detrimental to the dial glass and/or cabinet

Nick.
Old 24th Apr 2007, 7:58 pm   #4
igranic
Rest in Peace

Probably not a good idea imho. I suggest you measure the cold resistance of a tungsten lamp, and compare it with the calculated hot resistance. The initial current surge at switch-on is sure to shorten the life of those expensive or hard-to-get valves. On the other hand, dropper resistors, being made of constantan, nichrome, or similar, have a fairly constant resistance regardless of temperature.
Old 24th Apr 2007, 8:24 pm   #5
paulsherwin

I agree, there's too much variability using a bulb, and you finish up dumping just as much heat inside the cabinet. It's better to fit a diode or capacitor dropper if you're making a major modification like this.

Paul
Old 25th Apr 2007, 1:20 pm   #6
daviddeakin
Hexode

But a tungsten bulb reacts MUCH faster than valve heaters, so will absorb the inrush quite effectively I think.

Plus you don't produce nearly as much heat because most of it is given off as light- that was really the whole point.
Old 25th Apr 2007, 4:48 pm   #7
John M0GLN
Octode

If a tungsten filament bulb did work, and I've no idea whether it would or not, would it look ok in a small table lamp wired in series with the wireless, or would it be too dim?

John
Old 25th Apr 2007, 5:08 pm   #8
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Plus you don't produce nearly as much heat because most of it is given off as light....
About 95% as heat, 5% as light. Not much better than a resistor.
Old 25th Apr 2007, 6:49 pm   #9
G8DLG
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
But a tungsten bulb reacts MUCH faster than valve heaters, so will absorb the inrush quite effectively I think.

Plus you don't produce nearly as much heat because most of it is given off as light- that was really the whole point.
That is true,the inrush is short lived,but a dropper is best.
A tungsten lamp produces only 12-20% light,so not much saving on heat,if you can make use of the light,all well and good.A lamp resistance varies with temperature,so if the current increases the resistance of the filament also increases,so the increase in voltage does not produce the same increase in heater current.A Baretter on the other hand will completely stabilise heater chain current from wide mains voltage changes.
Dont be tempted to use a capacitor as a dropper,harmonics on the line will blow your heaters,also high surges will shorten valve life.
Old 25th Apr 2007, 6:50 pm   #10
igranic
Rest in Peace

David

I am not going to do the sums and draw the current vs. time graphs, but tungsten lamps do not react quickly enough, which is why they almost always 'blow' at switch on - the initial inrush current causes the filament to rupture before it has reached working temperature (and resistance).

Ask yourself why, in all the years that they were striving to reduce the cost of their AC/DC sets whilst maintaining reliability, did radio designers and manufacturers not opt for a cheap pygmy lamp instead of the more expensive mains dropper with relatively constant resistance?

Also, consider why, as well as the dropper resistors, some set designs include negative temperature coefficient thermistors in the heater chain?
Old 25th Apr 2007, 8:14 pm   #11
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi David, next to the resistive dropper a capacitor is the most practical bet, very many sets have been converted this way and function well. It is, however important to only use "X" class capacitors or motor strt types for this function. Unlike being used on DC, there is a much reduced inrush on AC due to the more limited rate of rise of the waveform. There should only be troubles with harmonics if you are in a mains area when these are particularly bad. This will give rise to a higher current than calculated but will not CAUSE the problem. I often "pad" the current value with about a 5W resistor, this further reduces surges.

The maths are not too difficult, but you will need an understanding of vectors if you want to fully appreciate what is happening.

Best regards, Ed
Closed Thread