UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Aug 2013, 12:50 pm   #1
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Expelair GX9 fan; seized

Has anyone any experience in refurbishing old (~40 years) Xpelairs?

If I recall, when I last used this, the fan could spun fast and free with the slightest touch of finger. Presently, it is seized rock-solid and the self-tappers which hold it together are also seized and the heads are chewing up rather than the screws coming out
Old 2nd Aug 2013, 2:07 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Expelair GX9 fan; seized

Can't you just drill out the screw heads? This will allow you to dismantle, and when the screws are exposed you can grab them with something like a Mole wrench and unscrew them.

I imagine the bearings are gunked up with all sorts of grease, particularly if it's in a kitchen. You should be able to free things up with some WD40, followed by a relube with 3-in-1 or something similar.
Old 2nd Aug 2013, 2:23 pm   #3
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Yes Paul, I guess this is a case for those cobalt-hardened drills which I keep for just such events. I think some serious rusting has gone on inside that motor; I'd be pleased it if it just dried out grease!
Old 2nd Aug 2013, 2:36 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

If/when you get it apart, if it's anything like the seized Xpelair in my old student accomodation expect to find a lot of rust between the stator and the rotor of the motor.
Old 3rd Aug 2013, 10:29 am   #5
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I've now got the motor unit out of the fan, but I'm struggling to get the motor out of its casing. The latter is a close-fitting round aluminium 'can'. A bit of rust and varnish seem to be holding the stator in the can and there is very little to get hold of to help extract it. Most of what protrudes are bits of plastic insulation for the windings and the windings themselves - which are pretty fine.

I tried heating the casing quickly with a blow lamp, and gave it a short sharp shock, but didn't make any progress.

A really powerful magnet (like Batman would have in his utility belt) might work
Old 3rd Aug 2013, 12:09 pm   #6
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Sometimes suspending offending item in a saucepan of boiling water and a tiny bit of fairy liquid helps soften plastic.

Obviously here no need to nag about drying an electrical item throughly after.
Closed Thread