UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jul 2013, 11:27 am   #1
FIXITNOW
Octode

Default When were PP6 last made?

Popped to our local old cycle shop this week looking to see if he had and PP7 batteries left; Sadly no.
But he did have one red Ever Ready PP6 on the shelf. I have not seen one for a long time - when they were last made?

Cheers
Old 26th Jul 2013, 1:37 pm   #2
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Default Re: When were PP6 last made?

Hi, it appears they are both still available from internet sellers, such as The Small Battery Company, although not cheap. This suggests they are still being made.

Would have thought near your location, there must be a number of independant hardware stores, more likely able to supply odd batteries, than a cycle shop.

For example, a cycle lamp battery I could not find readily in my part (west) of London, was available in 2 hardware stores in Diss.

Good Luck - Mike
Old 28th Jul 2013, 12:02 pm   #3
camtechman
Nonode

Default Re: When were PP6 last made?

I have a couple of red plastic cased "Ever Ready" PP6's, date impressed Nov 2003.

They were both exhausted when I got them in a mixed box of old batteries and, if I hadn't needed a small plastic case into which I wanted to fit an RF signal tracer and chose to use one of these exhausted PP6's, then I wouldn't have found out that they were 'manufactured' differently !

Although the outer case clearly had a genuine "Ever Ready" plastised label, the insides were not the usual pile cell assembly but two "Eveready" (YES "Eveready") red metal jacketed 6F22 (522/1222) E-Block (PP3's) wired in parallel and it wasn't a bodge job !

The 2x PP3's were wired via an insulated, double clip-on contact block assembly that, not only wired them in parallel but also held them securely together and allowed this sub assembly to be slid into the outer plastic case.

The double clip-on unit was in turn wired via 2x two inch lengths of insulated black & red wires, which was then wired to a single connector - which was the connector at the top of the PP6 battery case for connecting equipment to. This connector was secured to the top of the battery case by the edge of the case having been rolled over. (presumably by an ultrasonic tool ?).

I haven't got any pictures of this battery but, if anybody wants to see this mash-up in the flesh, let me know and I'll take some.

Tony