UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jul 2013, 6:30 pm   #1
Dickie
Octode

Default HMV Cavendish and safety regs.

I've just finished restoring my Cavendish fan heater (the HMV badge on the front had been removed before I got to it) and it set me wondering what it would need to bring it up to modern safety standards. Not that I plan to do anything about it, of course.

I guess the existing thermal fuse is OK and the construction materials (bakelite and steel) are flame retardent. An earth bonding strap from the back panel to the base would be required, but what about the slots that let the hot air out? It would be easy for somebody to poke a knitting needle in and electrocute themselves. Would the relevant Euro-Norm standard require a fine earthed metal mesh to prevent this sort of risk?

I'm just interested, I've no plans to modify it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030531.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	81424  

Richard, BVWS member
Old 1st Jul 2013, 7:42 pm   #2

Default Re: HMV Cavendish and safety regs.

I have a saying... "If you want to cheat, know the rules"

Much better looking than any modern one.

Old 1st Jul 2013, 8:00 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I think your two points are correct.

It's "ahead of the game" in having a thermal fuse already. If you ever use up your supply of originals, then a modern "Microtemp" could be substituted without any mods.

Note that I had full confidence in mine, until the motor gave up the ghost (yes, I had oiled it on New Year's Day as per the MI), whereupon it got VERY hot and the TOC didn't operate! So I'd advise not leaving it on unsupervised (I'd done the classic thing and had just popped out to see a neighbour "for a second" which turned out to be more like an hour - she's very chatty).

Nick.
Old 1st Jul 2013, 11:20 pm   #4
McMurdo
Dekatron

I can think of plenty of modern, approved equipment that wouldn't offer protection against knitting needles...I dont think it's a safety requirement...just yet!
Old 2nd Jul 2013, 10:35 am   #5
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: HMV Cavendish and safety regs.

Hi,
It's not knitting needles (which are nearly always plastic nowadays anyway), but child's fingers, which are shorter & fatter, that I think the regs are more concerned with. But if you don't leave it unsupervised when there's an infant around, and the plug is reachable so you can whip it out PDQ if needed, I think it should be OK.
I think the BSI use a standard British "finger" that is used when testing appliances.
Cheers, Pete
Old 2nd Jul 2013, 2:55 pm   #6
broadgage
Nonode

If in doubt, use an RCD plug, not a cure all by any means but does reduce the risks if a kid did manage to get its finger into the appliance.
Old 2nd Jul 2013, 2:57 pm   #7

Yes, I remember the standard 'finger' much the same size as a childs little finger, also there was a necklace type of testing device. Pragmatic, not idiot proof.

They where lovely brass tools, bet they cost a fair bit.

Old 2nd Jul 2013, 3:50 pm   #8
richrussell
Heptode

Ah pants - I've just realised that I didn't oil mine on Jan 1st this year. I guess I'll have to wait another 5 months and then do it.

The heating elements are a reasonable distance from the grilles, so I would have though any finger thin enough to get through isn't long enough to reach them anyway.
Old 2nd Jul 2013, 4:05 pm   #9
KeithsTV
Nonode

When I worked for a fire alarm company we had to poke the British Standard Finger into each of the oriffices of the sensors. If it touched any internal metal structure we had to conduct an ESD test on that metal part. The design was such that the BSF did not touch the metal so no need to test with the ESD gun, which was quite fortunate.

Keith
Old 2nd Jul 2013, 6:11 pm   #10
Dickie
Octode

Well, I asked around at work and a colleague produced a "British Standard Finger" and guess what? - it wouldn't go through the slots. Therefore it must be safe (ha ha).

I think Nick's experience says it all. These appliances look fine but we mustn't forget parts of them are 50-60 years old. It would be brave or foolish to leave them on unattended.

Richard, BVWS member
Old 2nd Jul 2013, 8:30 pm   #11
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I have used one of these HMV heaters for years in my bedroom. They were marketed under many trade names and I suspect they were made by Plessey but I might be wrong. The 13amp plug gets a bit warm after an hours use so I really should fit a decent one. I pulled the heater off the tip many years ago complete with the plug currently being used.
It never did get oiled on Jan 1st 1953 and has probably missed 60 subsequent years of oiling but still works fine. I gave up knitting many years ago when Auntie Nora made fun of the frock I knitted her for a retirement present so that risk can be eliminated.
Any child, small enough to be capable of pushing a finger into the holes would need to be constantly monitored for fear of it falling down a crack in the floor boards, so no worries there.
Don't worry about it Dickie. You're more likely to be wiped out by a rabid cat than your splendid HMV Cavendish heater. Enjoy. Regards, John.
[Oh, just a pic of mine.]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV heater.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	81492  
Old 2nd Jul 2013, 8:34 pm   #12
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

John, you're quite right, but mine came perilously close to setting fire to the carpet. Honest!

Just keep an eye on it and all will be fine.
Old 2nd Jul 2013, 9:28 pm   #13
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

It's called Mk1 underfloor heating Nick.

Yes I guess it is well worth checking the thermal cut out. Just restrict the air flow and it should trip.
Fan heaters are generally a very safe method of heating bedrooms especially safe for the elderly that might drop blankets etc on an open element fire with disastrous consequences. The old HMV's just need a good check over and oiling on Jan 1st..Cheers, John.
Old 9th Jul 2013, 7:57 pm   #14
bobsterkent
Hexode

I still have a couple of standard test fingers from my time in the lab, but I think they are out of calibration now!
Old 10th Jul 2013, 10:10 am   #15
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Have you any idea who donated them Bob? J.
Old 13th Jul 2013, 10:14 pm   #16
bobsterkent
Hexode

I kept them as a keepsake when we shut down, everyone kept something . .