UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Nov 2017, 4:34 am   #1
Otari5050
Pentode

Default Unusual deposit in tube (valve)

Hi folks, got a nice KT88 tube (NOS) which has an unusual white deposit on the inside of the glass.

At first I thought it had gone to air, but the getter is perfect and a check on an AVO MK4 shows it's in perfect health, no gas at all.

Sorry the photo isn't the best but it's hard to get close.
You can see where it's white from the base up, but then goes clear before the bend in the glass.

I've never seen this before in a tube.
I'd like to get others' thoughts on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0695_cr.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	152870  
Old 26th Nov 2017, 9:28 am   #2
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Default Re: Unusual deposit in tube (valve)

I have occasionally seen white deposits on the inside of a valve and thought the same as you but if the heater lights up and it works OK I wouldn't worry about it.

Peter
Old 26th Nov 2017, 7:54 pm   #3
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: Unusual deposit in tube (valve)

Probably just a peculiarity caused during manufacture. I think that the white is where the gas jets would have been melting the glass and a tool being used to form the joint between the pinch electrode assembly and the glass bulb itself.

I have seen valves with white patches around the base and funny coloured getters but are all fine. Some clean B9a valves have quite powdery white looking bases inside.

Could be the glass to base cement but this is usually much darker and rougher.

Christopher Capener
Old 28th Nov 2017, 9:49 am   #4
ionburn
Heptode

I noticed with a NOS valve the other day that there seemed to be a white milkiness in the glass itself around the base which was not present in other examples of the same valve. It was otherwise identical to others of the same type.
Old 28th Nov 2017, 10:27 am   #5
Sideband
Dekatron

More than likely a colouration of the glass itself. If it checks out perfectly just use it and enjoy!
Old 28th Nov 2017, 1:26 pm   #6
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Overheating of soda glass in the blowing/moulding process can be the cause. Normally re-annealing would remove the whiteness.
Closed Thread