UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Sep 2006, 9:11 pm   #1
PJL
Dekatron

Default Advice on a first TV?

OK, so I have done radios and now I need a bit more of a challenge. Any suggestions on a first TV restoration? The chassis built 405 only sets from the early 50's seem the simplest but maybe they are not a good place to start? Are there set and tube manufacturers I should avoid?

I can look over a radio and make a reasonable guess at the damage but having peered in the back of a couple of TV's at car boots I have no idea what I should be looking for - melted LOPT, gassed tube - what are the signs of impending doom?

...Peter
Old 21st Sep 2006, 9:28 pm   #2
Neil Purling
Nonode

Default Re: Advice on a first TV?

In the eighties I sifted through piles of old black and white valve tellies looking for a good un and ended up marrying bits of 3 different examples of the same chassis.
You don't really know if the CRT is any good unless you have a tester or the set is in working order. Low brightness & streaking on highlights is the sign of a duff tube.
I have never messed with a 405 line only TV. I have no idea if you can get the old round bowl CRT's re-gunned today.
The Line O/P transformer may have obvious signs of distress, but a good example may die a short while after a set is revived.
It was suggested here to put a set in a warm dry place for a few weeks to drive out damp.
The usual concerns about capacitors also apply here. You will probably have a load of them to change.
Anything where HT or EHT is concerned you can't afford to make mistakes.
Old 21st Sep 2006, 9:39 pm   #3
Focus Diode
Octode

Others will no doubt disagree but I find a Thorn 1400 dual standard a good set to start with. Very accessible chassis, reliable LOPT (very unlikely to fail) and on the whole reliable "Watch for hours without worry" sets once the problems are ironed out.

That's my personal view of course, but would like to know what others think.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 21st Sep 2006, 10:41 pm   #4
jay_oldstuff
Octode

I can highly recommend one of the sets using the STC (K-B) VC1, 2 or 3 series chassis.
These are an early dual standard set using point-to-point wiring, is easy to work on and has good service data available.

In fact it is the first set I worked on; very easy to get going and being dual-standard you can get a picture before going to the expense of getting a standards converter.
Be warned, though, these old TVs get addictive. I told myself "just one or maybe two".

Now I have ten.

Jay
Old 22nd Sep 2006, 8:19 am   #5
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

If you can bear a 625 set, the BRC1500 or hybrid Pye (169 chassis?). The one with the separate IF strip. Definition is probably best s/std mono chassis there was.

405 or dual - all the Bush up to and including the TV125 - well made, easy to fix and no PCBs. The TV105 with a UHF tuner looks best, IMHO. LOPTs are starting to fail, though.

BRC1400 if you can get rid of the intercarrer buzz. BRC900 and 950 - a bit crowded, but straightforward.

D/std Baird (cannot remember models) with two vertical chassis - very accessible but system switch has to be adjusted properly to work well.
Old 22nd Sep 2006, 10:56 am   #6
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Judging by the number of requests I've seen/heard for TV125 LOPTs then despite how good the set might be I'd avoid it.

Dual standard is definitely the way to go if you initially don't want to fork out for a standards converter, and any such sets NOT using a PCB is an advantage - so Jay's suggestion of the STC sets seems a good 'un.

If you really want to dive in on 405 then I'd say go for a mid/late 50's set. By this time, one chassis appeared under many many different manufacturers names, so spares such as LOPTs must surely be easier to find than with early sets?. They also have a reasonable CRT size and finding replacements shouldn't be too big a problem as there are plenty of sets about and they are usually quite cheap.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 22nd Sep 2006, 4:45 pm   #7
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

I'd agree with the recommendation for the VC 1 2 or s KB chassis.

They are a nice looking set (in my opinion) and the build quality was as good as anything else from that period and better than most. I still had three of these going strong in my rental fleet in 1989.

When I packed up I gave them to the renters (Very elderly who didn't see the point of this new fangled colour) They must have earned me and the previous owner of the business a (relative) fortune over the years!

Regards,
Old 22nd Sep 2006, 8:41 pm   #8
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
I think it depends if you like PCBs or hand wired - if the latter there's no choice in the dual standards as mentioned above - the excellent VC series.
If PCBs float your boat, then I like the Bush TV161-193 (A640 series) - nice to work on and not too unreliable (LOPTs excepted) - with the bonus of a really good picture. I like the 1400 - unless it buzzes, when the 1500 is more appealing!
Personally I'd suggest (as everyone else has) getting experienced on duals, then going back to the older stuff.

Glyn
Closed Thread