UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Sep 2006, 2:54 pm   #1
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Default Continental Balanced TV Aerial Plugs

Hi,

To tidily connect signal to the Sondyna, I could do with a plug or two.

Pins are 4mm (test leads fit nicely in the holes) and the spacing is 12mm. I can use a pair of 4mm plugs for now but it'd be nice to have the correct plugs, preferably early sixties vintage if possible.

VHF and UHF aerial sockets are visible in this photo.

I'm assuming the aerial input to the set is 300-ohm; I have a 75-300 balun of the type used for VHF/FM tuners. I'm not sure if this is going to be ok at UHF though.

Regards, Kat
Old 3rd Sep 2006, 4:50 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Continental Balanced TV Aerial Plugs

Kat,

You often find UHF-rated baluns on the back of recent portable TVs, connecting the tuner's 75R Belling-Lee socket to some twin feeder which leads to the loop aerial.

An Alba loop aerial I ordered from CPC last year came complete with one.

Nick.
Old 3rd Sep 2006, 11:21 pm   #3
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Just had a look at the one on the back of my Saba and it looks just like the type of connector used for speaker outputs on amps in the 60s; perhaps a possible source.
If nothing else turns up you can have the one off the back of my Saba, it's used for the internal aerial.
Jay
Old 7th Sep 2006, 1:32 am   #4
arjoll
Dekatron

I'm a bit late making it to this thread, but if the attached looks close and isn't standard in the UK I'm sure I can get my hands on some oldies from when I upgraded my parents place from ribbon to coax about 15 years ago; probably 1970's. If not they're $3.28 (just over a pound) new.

They were common as muck here until about 20 years ago, pins are 3mm and I'm sure the spacing sounds about right.

They're here:
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...uct/View/P2084
If this link doesn't work just go to www.dse.co.nz and search on P2084.

Come to think of it I'll track one down this weekend and measure it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2084.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	3.2 KB
ID:	5326  
Old 7th Sep 2006, 2:16 am   #5
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

That looks close... but 4mm plugs (as found on test leads) fit perfectly without straining the contacts and go in all the way. So I suspect the European plugs look pretty much like a pair of regular 4mm test lead plug pins in a common housing, diameter and length seem right.

Pin length on the plugs I'm using now is 17mm, they only make contact after 9mm of the pin is inserted so the pins need to be pretty long too.

3mm pins would be loose; so I guess your NZ plugs aren't a match for the European ones. The pins also look a little short, too.

It's all 75-ohm coax here and seems to have been for decades; I've seen only one British TV set which didn't have a Belling-Lee socket, and that was a pre-war one. Hence the request, I've never seen a TV set with 300-ohm aerial connections until I got the Sondyna so I've no idea what the correct plug looks like.

Summary, 4mm diameter by approx. 17mm long pins, 12mm spacing.

Thanks for looking,

Regards, Kat
Closed Thread