UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 12th Aug 2006, 7:52 pm   #1
tivo
Triode

Default Philips 341A - poor reception and aerial problems.

I have recently acquired a very clean Philips 341A. Short wave reception is first class, MW is poor and LW is none existent - the tuning does appear to have an effect over the band but only finds distant interference. I have access to the traders schematic and have spot checked parts of the circuit before C5 (I am assuming the mixer and IF stages are OK because of SW performance) but I am still scratching my head. Has anyone had/solved a similar problem or got any pointers?
Old 12th Aug 2006, 7:58 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Philips 341A - no LW

Like many Philips sets of the time, the 341A has a very feeble internal aerial. If you're using that, reception will be poor on MW and nonexistant on LW. You can confirm this by connecting an external aerial (maybe 5 metres of wire, it doesn't matter which sort). This should give good MW reception but LW will still be weak - you need a substantial longwire aerial for LW reception (which indeed people had in the 1950s when the radio was sold).

Good luck, Paul
Old 12th Aug 2006, 8:33 pm   #3
tivo
Triode

Default Re: Philips 341A - no LW

I had tried a short wire and found no perceptible difference - I have a Bush MB60 that pulls in LW with no aerial just fine.

I have just strung up a 25m wire across the garden and am using the central heating as an earth - the difference is amazing!

I suppose I should have twigged when I saw the tiny internal foil antenna and the screened LW coil inside.

Thanks Paul, it's all too easy to overlook the obvious!
Closed Thread